1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to support plan

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by moby100, Feb 12, 2016.

1. moby100

moby100 New commenter

Hi I moved to a new school in September who have been extra measures for sometime. I had formal observation which was graded 2/3 and told to work on some things . Then I had another observation to check that I was on track which was fine. Recently we had OFSTED and I was given a 'thumbs up' by the head as they left the room but then was told that my other lesson was a three by another SLT. Now after receiving feedback I was told of things to work on and was summoned to the office where I was told I would be on a plan due to my performance with two observations a week, drop ins , daily book and planning scrutiny. I was asked to think about whether the school is right for me over half term. I am now terrified that that if the plan fails then I will be put on capability which I want to avoid. I have contacted my union who have said do not agree with the plan yet but I don't want to inflame the situation.

2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I think you need to consider leaving. There are many threads with similar situations to what you describe to look at.

Take your unions advice. Should you become unwell because of the stress you will be under see your GP.

Look after yourself and put yourself first

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Half term should be a time to relax and re-charge your batteries, not a time to have to think about your professional future!

You do need to keep a careful record of who said what to you when, to use to remind you when you talk to your union. So start jotting down things now, and trying to remember. From now on, make notes as things happen or are said to you.

And do try to do something nice over half term.

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Brunettegirl

Brunettegirl Occasional commenter

Oh for goodness sake!! Bless you and poor you! This sort of treatment seems to be constant. What a way to treat a professional a day before they go on holiday. I doubt that this would happen in ANY other career. When I first went into teaching, it was accepted that you were still settling into a new post at this stage of the year. This school is in special measures for a reason and it certainly isn't anything you have done. Chin up, and try to have a nice break.

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I am sorry to hear about what is happening to you, @moby100. I wonder if someone else has been lined up for your job and/or they can get rid of you without redundancy money.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Really good advice. Will help provide evidence to a Union Rep. should you need one later.

Just such a shame you need to do it. Do take the advice about looking after yourself first too!

7. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Are you expensive? There's your answer I'm afraid.

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You are finished in that school. Get out of there as quick as you can

You might like to throw this at the idiots before you go:

http://www.cem.org/blog/414/

they won't understand it though

I'd be more tempted to thrown some Nitromors over their cars.:)

9. 9497

9497 New commenter

my sympathy goes out to you. I am the same position. I am leaving what ever happens. I am afraid I agree with scintilliant and you are finished. In my case I think Jolly Roger has a point, so it would not surprise me if it the case else where. Sadly I doubt that Nitromors would touch car paint now they have taken dichloromethane out.

10. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I hate to say this but it looks like they brought you in to help them get through an potential OFSTED observation, bearing in mind they were in special measures for something. They needed someone with experience and you passed (and I was given a 'thumbs up' by the head as they left the room) and now they want to recruit someone cheaper.
    You have done your bit - now make them pay if they want to get rid of you.
    Speak to tour union and make sure you get a good deal.

11. moby100

moby100 New commenter

Thankyou for your advice and I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the fact somebody cheaper is waiting in the wings. I have taught for 5 years plus I have temporary TLR so I am quite expensive. So , it seems my path is chosen. So how do I play this ? Agree to leave at the end of the next term or try to stick it out till the end of the year ? Thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

12. cazzmusic1

cazzmusic1 New commenter

Great advice from other posters here, Moby, which I won't take up space by repeating. Have a lovely break.

CM1

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

@moby100

Been there myself... special measures schools are best avoided, the management teams are now your friends, get out, flee, escape... seriously, not joking. Life is too short mate.

14. drek

drek Star commenter

I too would advise putting in your resignation letter asap. The union is rght . Don't sign up for any support plan. If they insist despite your notice ask the union if they can help you draft a letter explaining that before joining their school, you were considered a good/outstanding teacher. You feel that getting supported by a school who managed themselves into special measures might be counter productive to your career development. Especially if you have no faith in their observation judgements or the financial motive behind them.
    Hope the union can help you.
    If a school manager asks an employee whether they think its the right place for them after selectng them, then the writing is very clearly on the wall.
    I'm really sorry but getting out of poisonoustan, will do wonders for both your confidence and your career.

Compassman likes this.