1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Spain with family

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Rachel Hunter, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Rachel Hunter

Rachel Hunter New commenter

I would really appreciate some advice and to hear your experiences. I am looking at moving to Spain to teach in the next couple of years when my children will be 4 and 6. I am looking at Valencia and have a specific school in mind so if you have any to warn against could you pm me? My main worries are would we have enough to live on (we are not huge spenders anyway but would want to live in a decent area) and would my OH be able to find some kind of work. (He is not a teacher.) This would be a long term move and I need to be sure about it! I know that more exotic countries pay more but my son has a medical condition meaning we need to stay in certain areas. Would also consider other countries such as Switzerland, Italy. I would be grateful for any advice you can give.

Thanks.

hedgie likes this.
  2. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

Your salary will not be enough to keep a family and live well.

Some will disagree, and will pop up telling tales of tapas by the beach, but it is not realistic to expect a decent salary from any of the schools in Valencia. After rent, bills, transport etc, you will have very little spare. Expect to do private lessons after work just to make ends meet.

Unemployment is amongst the highest in Europe in that region, and without speaking Spanish your husband's chances of working will be limited.

3. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

By the way, I did try to PM you, but TES told me that you are Millie Cat.

4. Rachel Hunter

I'm sorry I don't know what is going on with my profile. I am Millie Cat too. If you have got time, it would be great if you could send that message across. Many thanks for your help. :)

5. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

I'd echo that, im afraid. Schools in Valencia do not pay much, and work is very hard to find outside of teaching. That's why my boyfriend and I are leaving this summer after three happy vut poor years!

6. Rachel Hunter

Thank you. That is much appreciated. I thought it would be the case. It is possible that my partner may be able to get some contracted work via the internet as he works in IT. Looks like that would be definitely essential! Glad you enjoyed your three years though lottee1000! Are you coming back to the UK or elsewhere?

7. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Hi, we are going elsewhere in Europe for a new adventure and substantially more money, Combined with a cheaper standard of living! I will really miss VLC (and have already booked flights back here for October half term) though.

If your husband could work it would be much more doable, so maybe investigate that first before deciding on this area?

PM me if you have specific questions about schools if you'd like.

8. helenstamp

helenstamp New commenter

If your other half has worked (and paid tax) in the UK then if you take all of the P45s then they will be able to claim Spanish unemployment benefit which is quite high (70% of salary) which could keep you going until they find work, it lasts around 2 years depending on how many years they have been working. Living in Valencia has the other complication that many people speak Valenciano which is a language similar to Catalan so even with a good Spanish level they may not be able to get a job if they don`t speak the other language. The only real way of guaranteeing a job in Spain for your other half would be teaching English, there are always jobs in language academies and a lot of demand for it because of the crisis. In any other field it is virtually impossible to find a job, though they do say things are improving a bit now.