1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Secondary School

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by polmac, Jun 11, 2019.

1. polmac

polmac New commenter

I wonder if I might have some help or advice please. My child is due to go to secondary school in 2020. At present he is in a ASN school as he was premature and delayed. He has caught up and is now doing quite well. He is particularly skilled in Literacy and Geography and is very keen to learn.

We have been told since he was in P2 that academically there is no reason why he should not attend mainstream secondary but he can have a problem with social skills eg organisation wise, moving round the building in a secondary school, large classes etc.

He is capable of Nat 4s and 5s but the ASN Secondary does not offer this and most of the mainstream secondary schools are too crowded and large for him. although there are classroom assistants and ASNAs there but not allocated to him so lunchtimes could be tricky.

Our only option would be a private secondary school which would allow him to access an appropriate curriculum and be in a smaller class. However there are no CAs or ASNAs in these schools

Has anyone else been in this position or could offer another alternative to our dilemma please?

Thanks so much