1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Scottish pay scale

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by ellan_girl, Aug 4, 2020.

1. ellan_girl

ellan_girl New commenter

Does anyone know what point I will/should be put on? I was M4 under English system.
    Thanks

2. offhegoes

offhegoes New commenter

I typed out a reply but it seems to hVe vanished on sending!

If this would be your 5th year teaching (for example) not including any NQT year then you’d be on point 5.

3. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Your point in the English system is irrelevant. It's solely based on experience.
    https://www.snct.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Part_2_Section_1
    You want sections 1.18 to 1.26

If you're at the start of your 5th year of teaching I would expect you to be on point 5 of the scale, assuming you've got full GTCS registration.

4. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

Get absolutely everything in writing as to your pay scale before you accept any position. The local authority will almost certainly get this wrong. Also, if you're still owed pay from your job in England, which is possible given the crossover in when the school year starts, watch out for being taxed twice with your English job seen as a second income. HMRC are brilliant at sorting this out quickly for you and placing you on a Scottish tax code. Don't trust any new local authority to get any of this right. If my experience is anything to go by it takes ages for them to (a) get anything right (b) get back to you.

Effinbankers, Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  5. braemar

braemar New commenter

Also check your contract when you receive it to ensure that you will be placed on the correct point of the salary scale.

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  6. WitchFingers

WitchFingers New commenter

I was on UPS in England so asked local authority for written confirmation of salary before signing contract up here. They put me straight on the top of the mainscale with no fuss. Just get it in writing.

bigjimmy2 likes this.