1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to / Schools in Northern Spain e.g. Galicia, Asturias

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by BirdBath, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Hi
    Me, husband and two school-age children are planning a year in Northern Spain. Probably Galicia. Possibly Asturias. Is anyone teaching there at the moment who could provide advice on: (1) primary school places for my kids and (2) good places to live that might also have an independent secondary looking for a science teacher (me)? We are at the start of the process and so any teacherly insights into life in the area, places best avoided, top tips when choosing schools would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks
    BirdbBath

2. dippit

dippit New commenter

Hi BirdBath,
    Not sure if there are many independent secondary schools in the area. You could try checking on the NABSS website, although it only covers British schools and not all British schools are members of NABSS, as well as checking out American schools (not sure of the acronym for that). Failing that, you could try a google search using 'International', 'English', etc, as key words or get in touch with a few councils (ayuntamientos) in the areas you're looking at going to: they can be a valuable source of information.
    Good luck - I've heard it's a lovey area and would love to have the opportunity to live and work there.
    Dippit[​IMG]

3. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

There is a place called Chester College in Santiago (http://www.chestercollege.org/) which appears to the accredited as an American School. This means it will have gone through a fairly rigorous inspection process fairly recently. The website is rather uninformative but it appears that the kids don't take any exams (no A levels or IB) except for the American SATs and the Spanish Selectividad. That's not a problem for primary-age kids, but if you're planning on staying longer...