1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to school likely to go into Special Measures?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lottie276, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi all, I'm just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has been in this situation! To cut a long story short, I have come to the end of a fixed term contract in my current school and have been applying like Billy-o to new schools - had a few interviews but nothing so far!
    This week I have two interviews - one at a Good school - will be tough interview, at least ten candidates - it is the kind where they cut at lunchtime! The other one is in a school which is looking likely to go into special measures - already in notice to improve and the head called me in to tell me she loved my application and wanted to be honest about the state of the school before she hired me - she was so honest in fact, that it really freaked me out!
    I have been observed at Good by ofsted and my SIP so I am not concerned about my teaching (lots of professional development in a SM school), more concerned about the pressure and if anyone has had any experiences (good or bad) in moving to a SM school?
    Thank you in advance,
    Lottie x x x

2. Hi all, I'm just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has been in this situation! To cut a long story short, I have come to the end of a fixed term contract in my current school and have been applying like Billy-o to new schools - had a few interviews but nothing so far!
    This week I have two interviews - one at a Good school - will be tough interview, at least ten candidates - it is the kind where they cut at lunchtime! The other one is in a school which is looking likely to go into special measures - already in notice to improve and the head called me in to tell me she loved my application and wanted to be honest about the state of the school before she hired me - she was so honest in fact, that it really freaked me out!
    I have been observed at Good by ofsted and my SIP so I am not concerned about my teaching (lots of professional development in a SM school), more concerned about the pressure and if anyone has had any experiences (good or bad) in moving to a SM school?
    Thank you in advance,
    Lottie x x x

3. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

If you're teaching is strong,then it's a great move. Just finished 2 years in a SM school, which got out, I feel my professional standards, and experience are a lot better after thye've been pressure tested.

GO FOR IT

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

For the wealth of experience and insight you gain - Do it. It will be challenging. It will be intense. Look at it this way - the only way is up for the school once it's hit the depths of SM.

5. Ideally the tough interview at the good school is first and then this can be a potentially interesting back up. It could be a good experience but check there is strong (and new) leadership so you know it's going in the right direction. Ultimately, a job is a job isn't it?!

6. I opted to work in 2 SM schools. It is hard work, but great experience. Pressure is high, so make sure you feel up to it before you do it.

7. The pressure is HUGE. Only do it if you're prepared for that. I'm in a Special Measures school right now on long term supply (they can't keep staff) and I have NEVER worked so hard. After this I'm taking early retirement and am counting down the days.