1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to San Francisco

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lornb, Jan 7, 2016.

1. lornb

lornb New commenter

Im researching a move to San Francisco. The middle school system is overwhelming. I'd like to hear from anyone who might be interested in home schooling in the Bay Area. I have 2 children but where would I find some tutors for 2 children in Year 9? Anyone have any links or ideas for me?

2. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Cool. Can't help with your query but OH was in San Francisco a few years ago with an Edinburgh University liaison thing. They were based at Stanford in Palo Alto but they managed some trips during time off.
    Loved it - and the weather.

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Might be worth asking in the Teaching Overseas forum in Workplace?
    I can't see any obvious links but someone may know

4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I've lived there. Be sure and wear some flowers in your hair...

aspensquiver likes this.
  5. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

You're going to meet some gentle people there.

aspensquiver likes this.
  6. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Good luck OP!

When I lived in Alabama for five years, I removed my son from his school because it was so awful, I couldn't bear it.

Tried a bit of home-schooling, and then the authorities tried to sue me, for his non-attendance.

Turns out, in Al, it wasn't mandatory to attend school until aged 7.
    My son was 5! :D

I expect things are much better these days, especially in California!

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There is an army of homeless people in the downtown area and out towards Golden Gate Park

More than I've ever seen anywhere else and the fact there is little support for these people makes it all the worse.

....and it's colddddddddddddddddd

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Homeless people? Oh, yeah. Back in my time too. CA is like America's catch basin. Whatever comes loose in the rest of the country floats west and gets stuck there. Very rainy in wintertime, so you'll feel right at home in that respect.

9. aspensquiver

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

11. aspensquiver

12. aspensquiver

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Son visited San Francisco last year - said it was the roughest place he'd ever been to, drug dealers openly in the streets, running battles with the police etc.

14. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

As a tourist and ex-old-hippy, I really loved it (although as others have said, it was unexpectedly freezing cold).
    I would not however consider living there, for the reasons given above; but also because the next big quake is well overdue. I dived under the table every time a large truck rumbled past.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

BUMP to clear front page of Spammers

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter