1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Qatar to teach in August 2012!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kjames3, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Hi

Good Luck Katie, I've been in qatar with my husband for a month by today. I may graduate by the end of this year, willing to have a job. I taught in my country for the past 2 years. I'm a 23 years old Arab Lebanese female. You won't have big problems adapting. If I can help in any way I'll be glad to, just send me a personal message.

2. Katie, I am enquiring about a teaching post in Doha for the forseeable. I have still to complete my 4th year but would rather start earlier than later as I have my heart set on teaching and living there. If you could give me any information at all it would be extremely appreciated. I will send you my email address.

Ashleigh

3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I have sent you a PM, 2012ashleigh.

4. Hi everyone, I've just accepted a post in Qatar. I'm a fairly experienced teacher and I've lived abroad but never in the Middle East and I've read a lot of conflicting thoughts online. I'm looking forward to it but any tips or thoughts would be great.

5. the hippo

Guess what? Yes. I have sent you a PM, Ricardoh.

6. You're a star! Just about to mail :)

7. the hippo

No, I am a fat, smelly old hippo, but I try to help people.

8. Haha! I've just mailed back with a couple of remaining questions.

9. Jojoedok

Jojoedok New commenter

Hello everyone!!

I'm due to start teaching in Sepetember at a school in Qatar! I'm very nervous and don't know what to expect. Is anyone else going over there to teach?! Or is anyone already teaching over there? And could give me some information :) x

10. the hippo

Yes, I have sent you a PM, Jojodok.

11. Jojoedok

Jojoedok New commenter

Thanks hippo iv PM you back! Does anyone know that if you decide to go teach abroad and don't enjoy it how are they about leaving before the contract ends?

12. the hippo

If you are really thinking of doing that (and you have not even left the UK yet!), then maybe you should not be going overseas, Jojoedok.

A contract is (or can be) a legally binding agreement and therefore in some situations there could be unpleasant penalties for you if you do not keep your side of the contract. There are also going to be problems with your CV and your references if you jump ship.

13. Hi

I am also starting a teaching job in Qatar in September! Exciting...

14. Hi

I am also moving to Qatar for a teaching job next month. Exciting times...

15. the hippo

I am not going back to Qatar next month. Yes, our five years in Doha were good from a financial point of view, but the joys of Doha quickly fade. Traffic jams, dust and construction work seem to be the order of the day.

16. Dear Hippo,

would u be so kind to send me a message to marina.sunnydays@gmail.com, because i need some info about the controversial info i got about one particular school that offered me a job. I am a very good teacher, and i usually teach through games, but now i am worried because i read that in some schools students throw objects at teachers...please answer asap.

17. I'm also leaving to teach in Qatar next month. I'll be teaching in Al Khor as a EYFS teacher. I too am excited although am feeling overwhelmed at having to 'sort' all of our possessions (charity/sell/store/take) over the coming weeks. How are your plans going?

18. the hippo

Yes, marrina567, I have sent you a PM. If you are going to be in Al Khor, bec_payne, then you will definitely need a car (and a Qatari driving licence). Perhaps your first port of call should be the classified adverts for cars in www.qatarliving.com and indeed I would recommend this website as an important source of information on all things Qatari.

19. Thank u Hippo, that is really kind of u! I have not received any other message other than this one displayed here, though.