1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Qatar to teach in August 2012!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kjames3, Mar 15, 2012.

1. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Negotiating is indeed possible at the rubbish schools, lashy, especially if you have skills that are in demand and the clock is ticking. (It is May, after all.) But on the whole I agree with T0nyGT. If you were to take on some special post, then there is a case to be made for more cash, but the better schools will have already made a good offer. On the other hand, what are the alternatives? Supply work and / or unemployment?

And would this, by any chance, be one of Sir Isaac's scientific apple schools, lashy? Oh dear.

2. pompeypfc

pompeypfc New commenter

I am happy to give up to date, honest information about the "Isaac Apple" school. Yes I work there and have been here a number of years. No I am not under duress nor receiving commission but feel a balanced, honest review is deserved. Publically or pm

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

You have already stated on another thread that you are a principle, so how balanced and honest a review do you think you could manage?????? o_O

truth_seeker12 likes this.
  4. pompeypfc

pompeypfc New commenter

Are you questioning my principles or the fact that I am a Principal? Why shouldn't my review be honest? It's not in my interest to have staff who are not furnished with full facts before coming either to mine or any other school that I am familiar with.

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Established commenter

It would of course depend on what the facts are! Lots of schools can only recruit staff by not giving them the full facts because if they did, no one would join.

6. muchkinhm

muchkinhm New commenter

Hi everyone,
    Maybe joining a little late but I am debating accepting a job in Qatar starting in September. I have no worries about the school just about living there, getting to and from work, driving and things like gym class and yoga classes and just life really as I'm a single 27 year old female. If anyone can help I would appreciate anything.

7. the hippo

Hello. Did someone mention my name?

8. fmohamed1234

fmohamed1234 New commenter

Private message me as I am also a single 26 year old female moving to Qatar.

9. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

I do believe that you will give an honest review. However, it may be difficult for you not to be biased or see things from the viewpoint of a teacher.

10. lbtkhumalo

lbtkhumalo New commenter

Hi Everyone

I'm doing basic research into the requirements of teaching in Qatar. I have a degree and want to register for a TEFL course. Does anyone know if an online course would suffice or would I not be considered for interviews?

Regards
    Linda

11. truth_seeker12

They dont accept online courses. Very clear on the embassy website

12. Penny10p

Penny10p New commenter

Does anyone know if Qatar insist on degree matching teaching subject and PGCE, like the UAE does?

13. the hippo

As far as I know, they don't. But it was five years ago that this hippo was in Doha.

14. the hippo

pompeyfc, everyone knows that Madam A*** has an office in all of her schools, so you are not really the principal at all. So many so-called heads of the Sir Isaac schools have been given the push, so you will not be around for five minutes if you tell her something that she does not want to hear,

15. truth_seeker12

I am realising how disposable head teachers are here in the ME. Its beyond crazy. @pompeypfc I do think head teachers are able to be honest but most choose not to in order to keep their jobs. Those who are honest do not last. Sad situation but very true.

16. truth_seeker12

Nope. They dont require it.

17. the hippo

I am eagerly awaiting a reply from @pompeyfc. I am sure that he or she will write soon and tell you all that this is just my own opinion and really the rotten apple schools are now wonderful.

Maybe there are one or two of us are still alive who remember when the Isaac "D Ring" school first opened. There were three different headteachers in the first year. (Or was it the first term?) Well, you can read all about it on the ISR and for once the reviews are not actually as bad as awful reality. Has anything changed since our departure? I doubt it. @pompefc has to do what Madam A*** tells him to do, if he does not want a ticket on the next flight out of Doha.