1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Qatar to teach in August 2012!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kjames3, Mar 15, 2012.

1. jesedwards88

jesedwards88 New commenter

Hi 'Hippo' I have an interview for a school in Doha on Tuesday, unfortunately I don't know how to PM on here so will have to write a public message.

I wondered if you could give me any advice about moving to Doha as a 27 year female, moving alone. For example, how does the accommodation work, will I need a car, how do I negotiate a salary and what should i expect :/

Any advice you give would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Jessica

2. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Dear Marina,
    I have just seen your message and sent you an e-mail. Hope it is helpful.
    The Hippo

3. the hippo

jesedwards, I have sent you a long and, I hope, helpful e-mail, all about the sorrows and the joys of teaching in Qatar. Well, it certainly is not everyone's cup of tea. It was nearly three years ago that Mrs Hippopotamus and I were in Doha, but maybe it has not changed very much. More traffic, building works and higher rents for apartments, but otherwise it is much the same.

4. NaaLarteley

NaaLarteley New commenter

Hello Hippo, please may I have the same information, I am in the same situation as jessedwards and cannot find the private message!

5. abuameer90

abuameer90 New commenter

'I have published this advice for young teachers before, but maybe some of our young colleagues who are off to Qatar may find this useful.'

Great advice, hippo, I think you've just about summed it all up perfectly - I do know many European/Western-trained teachers who have simply had a ball in Doha once they've settled, saved heaps for a bolt hole of their choice back home and developed skills they never knew they had - I say 'go and do it!'

6. Morrisr9

Morrisr9 New commenter

isotonic likes this.
  7. the hippo

Dear NaaLarteley, an aged pachyderm has sent you one of those "Conversation" things.

8. craigevans1991

craigevans1991 New commenter

Hi Hippo

Could you please message me about details with regards to teaching in Doha. Have interviews coming up so advice from yourself would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance

9. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Send him a PM in case he doesnt check here. Very wise person so you will pick up a lot. No one has posted here simce 2016 it seems

10. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

11. the hippo

Hello. Did someone mention my name?

12. fmohamed1234

fmohamed1234 New commenter

@the hippo can you message me too I have recieved an offer

13. lashy

lashy New commenter

@the hippo I have an interview tomorrow for a school in Qatar. I only found out yesterday, so I feel under prepared. I spent last night Googling life in Qatar etc. but school website not giving much away. Can you suggest any must-knows for the interview? Are there any obvious things I should mention? Many thanks

14. the hippo

Dear lashy, perhaps you could send me one of those TES Conversation things? Yes, of course I will try to help you, as much as I can, but you are not allowed to name specific schools on this forum.

15. truth_seeker12

Mention if you have a partner, why you want to go there, what you can do for the school and that you understand the requirements of private schools.

Be as honest as you can be and make sure the background is suitable. They might ask you what pay you expect and for me that was something that came up all the time. I see people on here saying they have offers of 9.5k for NQT to 14k but I am sure there are schools offering more so maybe go based on that. Asking for too much can be a problem so be reasonable.

What would they see you doing if they walked in to your class? Room on fire isnt the correct answer to think of a good one. Some interviewers like humour as it shows you are easy and pleasant to work with but can also be a bad thing if the interviewer is expecting a serious response all through out.

If you are having to search for life in the country then you moght have to tell them that you dont know much about it but you are interested in getting to know it.

Why do you want the job? Because of the money? The lifestyle? The safety the place offers? Wanting to experience the culture? Using it as a base to travel the East? All possible answers.

However, whatever help I can give, I am sure the @the hippo will be able to give a better idea of the country

16. the hippo

Some sensible ideas and positive suggestions from truth_seeker12. I am not sure that I have much to add to these wise words.

Mrs. Hippopotamus was in Doha recently and she was not greatly impressed. Construction seems to be just about everywhere, the traffic jams are bad and the prices in the supermarkets have jumped. Well, those were her refletions, after our three-year stay in the Middle Kingdom.

truth_seeker12 likes this.
  17. lashy

lashy New commenter

H
    Hi Both (Hippo and Truth Seeker),
    I had the interview today and it seemed to go well. The offer of pay was much lower than I anticipated. If I get an offer I may have to negotiate pay, as it really is not going to cover my on-going outgoings in UK (mortgage, car etc.).
    Is it seen as rude to try and negotiate? The job and adventure is just what I want/need it is just the pay that is really putting a spanner in the works.

18. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Established commenter

Knowing what they offered you may give people an idea of how to proceed from here. If it was something ridiculously
    low then it might be a non-starter.

Any decent school should have a pay scale in place and so negotiation wouldn't be an option unless you were to take extra responsibilities.

19. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Remember that anything in the low $30 000 a year tax free is more take home pay than M6 back in the UK. then factor in free accommodation, flights, medical etc, then you will be surprised what this adds up to, and how much your savings potential can be.

$30 000 a year tax free on the international circuit is at the low end of salaries.

Make sure you do your sums properly. Someone on here the other day turned down the equivelant of earning £77 500 a year back home, just because they believed their UPS3 was worth more. Just basic maths worked out it was nearly double what they took home back in the UK.

In my experience, decent schools have pay scales in place. And any school that is will to negotiate salaries is probably not a school that you want to to work at.

20. truth_seeker12

Depends what they offered. PM me if you want to discuss salary. I do know that some have been offered 9.5k whilse other have been offered 14k