1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Qatar - Help!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by RoboCop92, Mar 5, 2017.

1. RoboCop92

RoboCop92 New commenter

Hi All,

My partner and I are very fortunate in the fact we have recently been appointed to teach in Qatar next year. We have been researching across TES and the internet and have had very mixed information, much of which is because due to changes over the past couple of years is now outdated, and so wondered if all you helpful people out there could help us answer these questions:

1. How much do you get for £1300 shipping allowance (Sea Freight)?

2. What is most important to take in suitcases and not send in the Freight?

3. What to do you before leaving the UK?

4. What is the cost of living like now? IE what do people’s monthly budget look like for a couple? (With free accommodation including utilities but not internet)

5. Best places to shop for food / essentials?

6. How long does it typically take to a get a residency permit?

7. How long did it take most people to get internet set up? / Before it is, is it possible to go to internet cafes etc?

8. Have people bought or leased a car? What is the typical expenditure with this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hello. Could I perhaps be of some help here?

3. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Dayum where did my response, took me ages to write too.

4. the hippo

Yes, there are indeed some dreadful reviews on the ISR for quite a few schools in Doha. Yes, it is often the case that these reviews were written a few years ago. However, it might perhaps be the case that no more recent reviews have been written because the earlier ones have already said what needs to be said and in fact nothing has really changed at all. The same loonies are trying to run the asylum.

5. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Some answers are below:

1. How much do you get for £1300 shipping allowance (Sea Freight)?
    depend on the shipping company that will be used and what service is going to be provided - we used a door to door service and managed to take around 16 boxes for less than 1300 GBP

4. What is the cost of living like now? IE what do people’s monthly budget look like for a couple? (With free accommodation including utilities but not internet)
    cost of living is increasing, petrol prices have increased by 60% since Jan 2016, however, it is still much cheaper than the UK, although Internet costs are more expensive than the UK.

5. Best places to shop for food / essentials?
    Carrefour and Lulu

6. How long does it typically take to a get a residency permit?
    Took me about 4 weeks, however, it has taken others up to 3 months

7. How long did it take most people to get internet set up? / Before it is, is it possible to go to internet cafes etc?
    Can't get internet until you get your residency permit, I was lucky that my neighbour shared his wifi with us - although others tend to buy the USB dongles but they are rubbish...

8. Have people bought or leased a car? What is the typical expenditure with this?
    Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm sure you're aware that you will need to take Qatar driving lessons/test as you will not be able to convert your UK licence to a Qatari licence...?

6. RoboCop92

RoboCop92 New commenter

Dayum sorry that happened - if you want to message me directly I would be very grateful?

Hippo - we haven't actually looked at ISR, we've read lots of positives, lots of negatives so we want to go and make our own minds up, and give it a go!

Jason_Bourne_
    Thank you so much - that is really useful!

7. the hippo

Some of those positives could have been written by the SLT. Well, you could find some positives and negatives on the ISR. You could also find some comments about schools by rummaging around on www.qatarliving.com, a most informative website about all things Qatari. Incidentally, the traffic in Doha has got much worse. Mrs Hippopotamus was in Doha last week and she was shocked by the prices.

8. Goonerd

Goonerd New commenter

I have also got a job in Qatar and will be moving with my family in August.

From research that I've done and have been told to budget 2000 Qar a month for vehicle. I've also been told that for a salary of 15,000qar a month you could easily save a third of that. That figures from spending on a family budget (none working wife and kids). However, being a teaching couple you're likely to have quite a bit more!

I've looked in to shipping, but can't get a decent quote until I know definitely what I want to take. I have been told crown relocations are good though and used by a few.

In terms of what to take extra in the suitcase my research would suggest clothes. These and alcohol seem to be the only things a lot more expensive over there. We intend to take a lot with us when going out to last till we come.back again.

In terms of what to do before leaving the uk I have a timeline spreadsheet that's a bit like a tick list. You could have but a lot of it to do with renting out house etc.

Not sure how to private message on this, but interested to hear where you're going to. I've also managed to get photos of accomm etc at the place we'll be moving to that may be insightful.

I cannot wait to go.

9. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Hopefully you mean clothes and not alcohol.

As for private messaging, they are now called conversations. You can click on the name of the person to the left of a message they have posted and then click Start a Conversation. You can check whether anyone has answered or started a conversation with you by hovering over your avatar in the far upper right hand corner of your screen.

PS. If your name implies that you are indeed a fellow Gooner you have my sympathies. These are dark times.

10. dash201

dash201 New commenter

For number 3, make sure you fill in a P85 and get some tax back!

11. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

To clarify, you cannot bring in alcohol. Your luggage will be xrayed and any bottles confiscated. Your employer will be notified and some employers will by policy, not law, fire anyone who is caught this way.

12. the hippo

Yes, gulfers is absolutely right. No bottles of booze in baggage.