1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Qatar August 2011

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by AlPower, May 22, 2011.

1. Hi Jintyjojo, I sent you pm!

2. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I have sent you both a PM.

3. jenwah85

jenwah85 New commenter

Hey!!
    I har an interview for a job in Qatar, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the kinds of qualities they'll be looking for? And also what life is like in Qatar - do you har to wear headscarves and things? Are women allowed to drive? Are women restricted in anything else?
    All help is appreciated!!! :)
    Jen x

4. the hippo

I have sent you a PM, jenwah85.
    Now, perhaps, I shall be able to return to my mudbath...

5. serverservant

serverservant New commenter

Greetings from Qatar. Here's my view on it.
    On the whole, Qatar is a great place to live if you have a cup half full mentality. For example, the opportunity to go to film festivals and tennis etc is way easier and cheaper than at home. In my view, I can do plently of things here I could ever think of doing at home (watching GP, Golf, Tennis etc).
    However, it isnt party central. One teacher I met on the plane home in december was complaining about the lack of nightlife here. Unless you like Cinemas (or have been here long enough to get an RP so you can join a Hotel club) theres very little. But then this is the ME, not Ibiza.
    Doha isnt very big, some say its a wannabe Dubai. I dont think it is, I think its trying to be different to that and there are cranes at every turn. Its a city being built around you.

6. the hippo

A lack of nightlife? I thought that teachers were supposed to spend their evenings marking their students' books, preparing resources and getting on with their planning. Perhaps this just shows how out-of-date I am.