1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to private education

Discussion in 'Independent' started by asher6249, Mar 14, 2019.

1. asher6249

asher6249 New commenter

Hi i am thinking about applying for a job within the private sector. I currently work in a high school and i am a bit worried about the jump. I m not too sure about the ways and wherefores of working in private ed, long hours? Pension??
    Any advice would be very helpful
    Thank you

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

In a good independent school you will find yourself feeling like a teacher again, focusing the majority of your time and energy on the foundations of your job. Pension depends on the school, many are currently TPS subscribers but the upcoming hike in employer contributions has resulted in a lot of independent schools launching consultations on leaving the scheme - important question to ask at interview. As in any school, the hours you work will depend on your experience, competence and ability to self-manage.

There are bad independent schools too.

Find schools with roles you are interested in and arrange to have a show round, you'll quickly get a feel for the differences if you ask the right questions.

3. flibbertigibit

flibbertigibit New commenter

I’ve worked in one amazing independent school- brilliant work/life balance, TPS pension, supportive SLT, small classes with high behaviour expectations etc. and now I’m in another where I’m working 11-12 hours most days, fielding emails every evening and weekend and constantly juggling new ‘brilliant’ initiatives from SLT. Being hauled into HR is also a constant threat. So, like the state sector, it really depends on the school! You’re generally free of the Ofsted stresses and your classes will almost certainly be smaller, but depending on the school your time gained from this could be taken up with extra duties/running clubs and societies.

4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Why are you choosing to do this?

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There have been several threads here recently about Private schools planning to withdraw from TPS and replace it with an alternative pension scheme because of the escalating costs to employers of TPS. [State schools cannot opt out of TPS.]

You can be sure the new pension scheme they adopt will be significantly less generous for staff than TPS.

https://community.tes.com/threads/m...teachers-pension-scheme.785816/#post-12733273

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I agree with you, but if it means the school stays afloat and so staff keep their jobs, then it is probably the best that can be offered.

I'm sure some schools are taking the pension changes as a great money saving opportunity and aren't fussed about their staff pensions. But others will know the increase in employer contributions is unaffordable and have no choice but to find something else.

But it is a consideration when looking at adverts.

And this time of year is a good one to start the job search. Those already in the independent sector will almost certainly be on one term notice periods, whereas those in the state sector are on a half term, so can apply for things advertised over Easter and just after.

7. flibbertigibit

Because when I haven’t replied promptly in the past I’ve been reminded that my contrate states I should be available when required on evenings and weekends. It’s not worth the hassle to ignore them, I’d rather reply and not have to face SLT on Monday morning.

8. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Really? That seems like an unreasonable clause to me, but if that's true I can see your problem - my question changes to "why did you choose to sign that contract?".

9. flibbertigibit

Because it was May last year, I didn’t have a job lined up and I have rent/bills to pay. I’ve found a new job now.

drvs and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  10. Rott Weiler

A a matter of interest what type of school are you in now? I've not come across a teacher's contract that says that before.

11. flibbertigibit

It’s an independent prep school.

12. Thebeak

Thebeak New commenter

My contract says something similar, but I think its mainly there so that people cant complain about the odd chapel duty/ 7s tournament on a Sunday etc. Certainly we aren’t expected to reply to emails within 24 hours.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Mine has something similar about being available for some weekends and evening, but it also has examples such as open mornings, sports fixtures, etc.

Our ICT policy says something about replying within two working days and during working hours, and specifies that replies cannot be expected in the evenings or at weekends.

To the op, READ THE CONTRACT CAREFULLY AND NEGOTIATE before accepting.

flibbertigibit likes this.
  14. Rott Weiler

Thanks. For some reason I'd thought you were in a state school. I understand it now.

flibbertigibit likes this.
  15. asher6249

asher6249 New commenter

Thank you so much

drvs likes this.