1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to part time working-pension?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by breadmaker, Oct 30, 2017.

1. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Hi, I am resigning tomorrow to leave at Christmas so that I can look for part time work. Returned to work after 6 months off due to ill health. All sorted now and back to full health thankfully, but now know need to work part-time- too many demands to deal with and feel that life is too short. Am 53 and have 21 years ft service. What advice would anyone give me regarding pension payments as I consider becoming a supply teacher? Thanks for any help.

2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 New commenter

Hi bread maker
    I have looked into this as I am n a similar situation
    If you do supply teaching via an agency you are not able to contribute to the TPS but if you work as supply directly for the school then you can pay into the TPS so this would be the better option. At 53 you will soon, or might already, be transferring to the new career average scheme and your final salary benefits will 'frozen' so any new pension payments you make will go towards the new scheme.

wanet likes this.