1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving to next ups2

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by peajay, Jan 19, 2019.

1. peajay

peajay New commenter

Do you have to apply to move to the next threshold in upper scale. We have a new head who told me for my previous years targets although the results improved (phonics lead, who doesn't teach phonics) they weren't significant enough! (it did not state any numbers in the pm) I passed all the rest of the targets. I raised my concern with the head (because on paper i still passed) that if i didn't pass this year i couldn't pass next year because it has to be two consecutive years. Now previous to this, this has happened twice i pass then don't go through. I am feeling frustrated and angry and like I'm not valued. This year I was told even though i passed my targets once again I cannot go through to ups2 because I don't have 2 consecutive years!!!! (our head is in her second year) The performance management has changed now to include a whole variety of things we have to do to go through. Please can someone help? Do my lesson observations need to be outstanding? thanks all x

2. Leigh1999

Leigh1999 New commenter

The answers to your questions should be in the relevant policy at your school. Do you have a staff handbook?

However, from what you’ve written it sounds as though the reasons you’ve been denied are quite “woolly”. I would go see the Head and speak to her about your concerns.

3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Shouldn’t be any such thing any more. Thank goodness.

Stiltskin likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

This extract is from the NEU (union).

• Where the recommendation from the reviewer or the head teacher is that a teacher should not progress, the governing body should consider the evidence itself and discuss it with the head teacher, not just accept the recommendation without discussion. The governing body should satisfy itself that the teacher has not met the standards required for progression.
    So what did your target actually say? Did it say that the results must show "significant improvement" or "improvement"?

I think, unless your target is phrased in a particular way, you'll find that the significance of the improvement lies in the eye of the beholder. That's to say - the colleague who is reviewing you. If they don't recommend you progress then the governing body needs to "satisfy itself". This could mean an intensive investigation or simply nodding when the HT says s/he agrees that you haven't met your target. It's deemed normal to progress and they ought to make some effort to determine why you haven't. But they'll probably just rubber-stamp the decision of the reviewer and the HT.

Two lessons to learn - be very careful about the wording of your target. It is highly unlikely to be framed in a way that will prove favourable to you. It is highly likely to be worded in such a way that the reviewer can easily conclude you haven't met it.

The next? Assemble your data and challenge the reviewer's decision.

Outstanding lessons? Is there something in your school policy that dictates you must have a minimum of 80% outstanding lessons or some such?

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'd be surprised if many governing bodies make the decision themselves on whether a teacher should or should not progress up the pay scale. NEU might think that is a good idea but not many governors believe they should be making operational decisons of this sort. It's not a requirement for them to do so, nor do DFE recommend it, and usual practice is for all such decisons to be delegated to the head teacher. Your school pay policy should explain what happens in your school.

Where governors (or the academy trust in an academy) do have a role is pay appeals. All pay policies should include a procedure for making an appeal against your pay award. Normally that will be to the governing body/academy trust pay committee. If you are not satisfied you can bring a formal pay appeal. Consult your union first.

Pomza likes this.