1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving to new authority

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by steve_duckworth, Mar 22, 2020.

1. steve_duckworth

steve_duckworth New commenter

Morning,
    I am considering changing job, which may mean teaching in a neighbouring local authority.
    I have been in my current post 20yrs.
    I have an excellent sickness record etc, would my sickness entitlement be the same in a new authority or would i be regarded as a New qualified teacher and have to build it up.
    Also, same question regarding redundancy pay.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are in a Local Authority maintained school now and move to another LA maintained school then Burgundy Book [here Section 4, paragraph 2.1] says all your LA service is aggregated even if it is in different LAs. So your sickness entitlement would be unchanged. The excellence of your sickness record is irrelevant to this.

If you are moving to or from an academy the answer may be different.

Under the Redundancy Payments (Continuity of Employment in Local Government, etc.) (Modification) Order 1999 all service in state schools, whether LA or academy, is deemed to be continuous service for purposes of calculating statutory redundancy pay, if there is no break in service when you move to your new job. Be aware though that most LAs and academies pay more than the statutory minimum redundancy and the Order doesn't require the enhanced amount, above statutory minimum, to treat previous schools as continuous service. I have no idea whether any LAs in practice treat the enhanced amount differently for new staff.

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. steve_duckworth

steve_duckworth New commenter

THANK YOU

4. gorge441

gorge441 New commenter

I guess you got the answer from the fellow member.
    Anyway, You should need to read section 4, paragraph 2.1