1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Nairobi

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mossy52, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Mossy52

Mossy52 New commenter

There are a couple of jobs in the TES for Nairobi but no recent posts on the Teaching Abroad thread which are applicable. I'd be really grateful for any insight into salaries, pros and cons of living and teaching in Nairobi, plus any other info that you may feel is worth knowing. It would be a family move for us so just trying to work out the logistics and benefits.
    Cheers.

P.S. Please feel free to message me if you'd prefer rather than replying to this thread.

2. claytie

claytie New commenter

Nairobi is a horrible city.The pollution is truly terrible, as the vehicles are not regulated and many are very old imports which belch out black smoke all the time. It is also a dangerous place; we were living there around the time a gang massacred a group of tourists in a hotel lobby, and a teacher was shot dead in the Karen area. Armed burglaries are common, too. Not a safe place for a family - or indeed anyone!

3. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

As the above commentator pointed out all the negatives, I'd just like to add a few positives so you know it isn't all doom and gloom. Whilst I wouldn't disagree with the factual things, these incidents are a rarity not commonplace, and there are nice parts of Nairobi - Karen is generally safer and is lovely - leafy, clear blue skies, traffic not as bad. We had a huge garden which was great for the kids. Househelp is plentiful and, if you get the right person, absolutely invaluable. There are so many places and things to see and do without leaving the country, and I loved the sense of wide open space. Pay is often on the lower side, but with two of you working it would be fine. I had a love-hate relationship with the place...I was keen to leave but now (after living in a big Asian city for several years) I wouldn't mind another stint there. I have two children under 7, and think it would be a great, different experience for them.