1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Malaysia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TeachingBusiness, Apr 27, 2019.

1. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

So I've got an interview this week, but I'm worried about 2 things so please give me honest opinions: the ever increasing threat of terrorism and dengue fever. Anyone with kids, were you not worried about these things when you were doing your research?

2. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

No issues with either of these things in the time I've been in Malaysia. I've known one person come down with dengue, that's it. The threat of terrorism here seems considerably less than in the UK or many other countries.

3. amariB

amariB New commenter

Terrorism is not a major threat here, any more than it would be in any other country. I have not heard about any large scale terrorist attacks here in Malaysia in recent years. Compare that to the number that have occurred in the UK during this period. I just checked the FCO site and wondered if this is where the worry has come from? Because all the threats it mentions are related to the coast of Sabah (Borneo), nowhere near KL or other urban areas on the peninsular.

Dengue occurs all over SE Asia and other continents too. I know one person in my school's staff of hundreds who has had it here in Malaysia. Other countries have Malaria and other diseases. Again, I wouldn't rule out Malaysia because of this. Just my opinion.

4. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Thanks AmariB. Good advice.