1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Malaysia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TeachingBusiness, Apr 27, 2019.

1. harpplayer

harpplayer New commenter

"In your opinion. Lots of posters on here would give you a different point of view!"

Indeed! You've understood that this is a "forum", where people discuss "different" viewpoints, usually always with unsubstantiated and uncheckable 'facts' and 'data', using phrases like 'everyone I know' and 'many people', just like I do. Well done. impressive.

Everyone fully understands why people might want to work in Malaysia and other similar countries. For some, lifestyle is very important at their stage of life, and money is far less so as long as you can get by each month with a spare few hundred dollars. Some people are happy to have a much slower pace of life but to live in a nice country like Malaysia in a great location for further travel. For others, it's the other way round. They want to try and earn a lot of money while they have the drive and energy, really work their socks off and set themselves up for their entire lives before resetting their priorities. Many here in Dubai could easily see themselves working in Malaysia one day or perhaps volunteering their expertise, but not until they've banked enough so that they never have to worry about money again.

Dubai is not perfect but *is* a wonderful place to work and live for many reasons and as long as you have the right attitude and persona, and know what you are doing in your job, then you can set yourself up for your whole life in ten or maybe fifteen years. Who doesn't aim by 35 to have two properties paid off and a million in the bank, to see them through to the end of the mortal coil? Many who are here and want that genuinely can see it is possible. Where else as a humble teacher is this even remotely possible? I spent most of this Summer tutoring single students and small groups from very wealthy families privately. It is a place that rewards the work ethic.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    motorhomer likes this.
  2. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

"Indeed! You've understood that this is a "forum", where people discuss "different" viewpoints, usually always with unsubstantiated and uncheckable 'facts' and 'data', using phrases like 'everyone I know' and 'many people', just like I do. Well done. impressive."

But you don't dear harpist, if you read your post again there are none of the usual admissions to it being an opinion it is presented very forcibly as the only point of view and finished off very nicely with 'no-brainer', Your response to my comment is far more appropriate, why not write that one straight off rather than the first very didactic one.