1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Malaysia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TeachingBusiness, Apr 27, 2019.

1. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

What's the tax in Malaysia?

2. mattieg22081

mattieg22081 New commenter

Tax is 28% for the first 180 days of your contract and then drops to between 12 - 13 percent depending on your salary.

In terms of salary, as already mentioned, the top paying school in KL offers 19k with 4k housing allowance. The majority of International schools in KL are offering between 8 - 16k depending where and what subject. Nemo's correct when he states that there are plenty of rich and successful Malaysians but the vast majority aren't earning that much and one of the major issues that came up at the last election was the low salaries and falling value of the Ringget. If you're offered a middling salary between 13 and 16k for a family you'll do alright but have to factor in free education. If you're offered that as a single man/woman you're laughing.

3. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

First of all, apologies if I wrongly called you a liar and instead you are just working from a rather narrow perspective. I mean that sincerely and hope you entertain my apology.

Secondly, in a developing country where expat teachers are in the same social class as those who would be levels above in our home country, it’s generally better to hang out with those who have some empathy and respect for those who are lower down the food chain. This can be a learning curve but it’s one worth learning to navigate. The salaried “slave wagers” exist in every country from the least developed to the most advanced. Malaysia is not unique in this respect. I was about to say you are lying when you say that there is no real salaried middle class in Malaysia but it appears that you have no idea what middle class actually is.

And I still think you are lying. Pretty much all the time.

4. hilshadfield

hilshadfield New commenter

Hi there

Does anyone have experience teaching in Ipoh ? What are the pros and cons? What would a 'strong local salary range' be?

5. bobbingtoncrescent

bobbingtoncrescent New commenter

It would be interesting to know. I would estimate a ‘strong local salary’ to be somewhere in the range of ‘5000 to 7000 MYR’.

hilshadfield likes this.
  6. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

It’s a nice little town. It’s sorta between KL and Penang and the Cameron Highlands (hill town getaway)
    Salary may be up to 10,000RM a month. Really depends. I would join one of the international educator communities on Facebook and reach out about the school you are interested in.

yasf and hilshadfield like this.
  7. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

As Mrs M and I walked in the Cameron Highlands (a time capsule of 1950s England) a dozen years ago two little Malay girls approached us and one said in very good English 'Can you spare a sixpence or a threepenny bit?' Then they ran off giggling. Perhaps from a grandparent's reminiscences of pre-independence days?

yasf, harpplayer and hilshadfield like this.
  8. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Far too many people complain about money.

I've worked in three different SE Asian schools, each with different packages to exclude/include accommodation, and I was more than comfortable in each, still having two holidays a year and shopping in international supermarkets.

In my last school, every teacher complained about the salary levels - some even organised a protest - and considered it low, yet I was taking home more than I took home in the UK, in a country with a far lower cost of living, thus giving me a high quality lifestyle. I also saved a bundle. I'd have done that job with a 30% pay cut tbh.

Too many greedy people out there who should take a bloody good look at how hard the locals work for a pittance and try to enjoy the experience.

harpplayer and Redparrotfish like this.
  9. Redparrotfish

Redparrotfish New commenter

Well said.

10. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'Too many greedy people out there who should take a bloody good look at how hard the locals work for a pittance and try to enjoy the experience.'

Now wait for lots of comments from a certain type of person to come on and say: 'its all about doing as little as possible for as much money as possible and that the rest of us are all martyrs' !!! :rolleyes:

11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Perhaps we are all to busy laughing so hard at your "holier-than-thou" attitude and shear stupidity to bother replying.... please...seriously....get over yourself.

12. Mainwaring

Interesting that YOU bothered to reply, Dumbers, old soul. I suppose there's only a certain amount of solitary cackling a lonely chap can do, down there at the hawse-end of Africa, with nowt else to occupy him but counting his cash.

yasf and Redparrotfish like this.
  13. makhnovite

Its about pressing buttons - Cap :D never fails with a certain type!

14. dumbbells66

It truly must be exhasting having to stand up all the time to speak !!!!
    When im retired at 55 with well over £1.2m in the bank, owning multiple properties outright (not in the UK) and be completely debt free...boy am i going to regret not making it "all about the education" like all you educational martyrs....my life will be so empty and meaningless

15. dumbbells66

I never knew you knew so much about the social scene here. Im obviously missing out so much. Now, do i go Whale watching tomorrow....surfing....or play golf, or just have an amazing meal on a white sand beach bar, drinking cocktails....or perhaps i should just go on a game drive....what do you think?
    But then i do have such a massive amount of cash to count....that never gets boring

16. Mainwaring

Spot on, as evidenced by the two responses below your post.

In reply to Dumbers' question 'What do you think?' my answer is 'None of the above'. You've already told us you have no social life. And, given your continued obsession with Spain, I strongly suspect that all of those multiple properties will end up being strung along the Costa Concreta with you in your kiss-me-quick sombrero in a chiringuito on the beach at Benidorm. But make your will before you call any of the locals 'stupid'. Wouldn't want those 1.2 million spondulicks to end up in the Revenue pot.

yasf likes this.
  17. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

I presume all you salaries are ringgit here?

18. mattieg22081

mattieg22081 New commenter

that would be correct

19. harpplayer

harpplayer New commenter

Malaysia's a lovely place for holidays, not quite as developed as Thailand but mostly still a third world country with third world views, and plenty of corruption, religious intolerance and poverty to go round, to match great beaches, food and easy travel. But the cheapness of the place means teaching salaries will always generally be low for expats, with a few odd exceptions. Opportunities for making serious, life changing money will be very limited - it's a place you go to when young or burnt out and need a change of pace. For wealth, the middle east is still the place to head for. Private tutoring here can get you $100 an hour if you teach the right subject, and have the personality - ten hours a week on top of your salary and you are taking home $9k a month. Four years in Malaysia to earn one year in Dubai? And Dubai is brilliant, clean, safe, friendly, plenty of Malaysian (servants) here and so much to do, and it's only 6 hours from Asia for holidays and about the same if you need to nip back to the UK. I'm in my fifth year now. It's a no brainer.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  20. makhnovite

"It's a no brainer."

In your opinion. Lots of posters on here would give you a different point of view!