1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Malaysia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TeachingBusiness, Apr 27, 2019.

1. reg_mcledge

reg_mcledge New commenter

We tend to stock up on certain cosmetics and sun lotions when we go home, too. It's a personal preference as we can normally only find the Banana Boat stuff and occasionally Nivea. If you're in KL you will soon get used to mall life and will become well acquainted with the international and local clothes shops over here.

As may have previously been said, make sure your phone is unlocked too.

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Do take care with cosmetics. Almost everything sold in KL has so-called whitening properties. Including the deodorants!

3. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

You can always find things that are not "whitening", you just have to look out for it on labels - it's always clearly marked though, the manufacturers want people to think their whitening moisturiser/deodorant/whatever is the best so they make it obvious!

4. cdgray

cdgray New commenter

Thanks for the advice, all! I will be moving from Mexico, which can get hot but is usually a comfortably warm temperature and I tend to live in jeans - which I'm getting the sense is not a thing in KL! I always stock up at Boots when I'm back home. Are batiste dry shampoo and Simple moisturiser easily available? Additionally, does anyone have any info about birth control pills? Would I need a prescription, or is this easy to buy OTC?

5. gulfgolf

OTC. Check online whether your brand is sold in Malaysia.

6. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Never heard of BCPs being sold over the counter. Prescriptions are readily available.
    Simple facial products are available in Malaysia, no idea about the dry shampoo. Can't imagine you'd need a dry shampoo here, the climate means you're showering at least once every day anyway.
    Many people wear jeans here, my husband bought a load of linen trousers before we came here but has gone back to wearing jeans and reckons he's no warmer. Personally I can't think of anything I'd rather wear less!

7. amariB

amariB New commenter

Yes I can confirm that you can buy most brands of birth control over the counter should you so wish.

8. GuyMT

GuyMT New commenter

Hi all, delighted to say I'm also dragging my family (wife and two small children) to KL in August. Can't wait! We're just scoping out shipping companies- can anyone recommend anyone in particular / let us know who to steer clear of?

9. Sunnyday50

Sunnyday50 New commenter

I've heard good things about Seven Seas, I know a lot of people who've used them.

10. GuyMT

GuyMT New commenter

Fantastic thanks so much! Will check them out

11. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

I have many local friends in Malaysia who earn far more than 20k but not one of them would laugh at anyone who earns less than 20k and they would consider that to be a very high salary even though they earn more, I also have many friends who earn less and often much less but they live well. Actually, a state school teacher can earn as much as 9k per month but that is incredibly rare and a typical teacher earns nothing anywhere near 6.5k a month.

Nemo, why are you lying?

12. alicemcclelland

alicemcclelland New commenter

13. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Simple products are available all over.

14. noncon

noncon New commenter

What are the average salaries for teachers in Malaysia? I've seen jobs advertising salaries between 8,000 - 16,000 ringgit.

15. gulfgolf

I don’t know about an average, but the range you reported is typical. Different schools pay very differently.

16. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

Nemo pales in comparison with the forum clown Dumbells. 10K pounds a month but 'more like 20k' when expense taken into account. They provide the laughs if nothing else

17. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

Wow, you must be a joy to have in the staff room! How about adding something constructive instead of using every opportunity to attack someone you’re obviously quite jealous of.

18. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

@4019775 is also @swsimp160 and doesnt like it when their massive inaccuracies in their post are pointed out. They do make me laugh though. Its always funny to know that im truly annoying them.

19. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Why are you so obnoxious ?

I clearly meant laughing at expats who think that is a high salary. It isn't. Mamak shop owners pull in 25k a month after tax - that was 16 years ago. I helped one owner making 1.2 million a month profit from his four mamak restaurants with some business advice. That was exceptional, and he was a dodgy guy often on TV, but that is what Malaysians call a high salary. Younger Malaysians I know think big, they earn 5 to 10k but say by 30 they will have their own business and earn far more. My old cleaner earnt 3.5 k a month. With no qualifications at all.

Local science school teachers pull in 10k a month plus after tax including some tuition (they only work half day teaching so have plenty of time for other work). This is usually x2 for a couple - many working couples to make ends meet. Salaried Malaysians I know struggle on 15k a month if they have kids. It is an expensive to survive in KL.

Maybe I used to hang out too often with Malaysian (and some expat old timers with businesses) lawyers, oil and gas engineers, business people, doctors, heart surgeons (they mint money), merchant bankers, tan sris and politicians, but they told me I was a sucker to work for so little as a salaried employee when easy money is there for anyone ambitious and clever. In Malaysia working for a salary makes you poor, there is no real salaried middle class in Malaysia.

Personaly I have enough money stashed away, and don't care for more, something most Malaysians have a hard time understanding but more do now, but I have seen too many teachers with kids suckered into Malaysia with false promises on salaries of 10 to 15k. For a new single teacher who doesn't want to save it's ok. But not anyone else. It doesn't make you a high earner in Malaysia.

1st tier schools pay 20k plus with no responsibility allowances. For anyone with a partner and 2 kids that is absolute min. It is enough if you live modestly, but don't hang out in the Selangor club.

20. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

That’s about right if you’re teaching in Penang. The salaries on the island are a lot less than the mainland.
    At my school, teachers pulled in 9-10,000 a month. Housing included. When the GST came in, they got a raise of 6%, the same as the GST.