1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving to london

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by leeannmorrow, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Moving to London to start new teaching job in September. Anyone got any advice of where to live or know any decent rooms in shared accommodation? School is in south east London but don't mind a bit of a commute.

2. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I used to live in Greenwich and loved it. Look on spareroom.com. Really reliable ads normally. Steer clear of GumTree.

3. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

ALso, go for 'house share' and not 'live in landlord'. Much more fun.

4. Hi leeannmorrow,
    I currently have a one bedroom flat in Crystal Palace SE19. I'm moving to teach in Slovakia for at least 12 months with my husband in August. We want to rent out the flat. Abode estate agent SE19 is coming round to take pics and put it on their website this weekend if you don't find anywhere and want to look. If you're moving to London on your own though it is only a one bed flat so would be more fun to be in a house share for sure.

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

It may seem like a different country, especially when viewed from an 'Up North' perspective, but is this really the right forum to be asking about London?

6. If the poster is not in/from the UK, then, yes!

7. MisterMaker

Here's me thinking this was a British website. I guess the non overseas forums refer to experiences in non UK schools then (it is logical, just think about it)

8. Nonsense. Loads of non-British based teachers access the site. Where is the
    site?

9. MisterMaker

You may have not noticed, but there is a whole column of forums on the left on the page listing various forums regarding British education, whereas this overseas forum seems to indicate jobs outside of the UK. Yes, I'm well aware that many johnny foreigner use these pages, but that doesn't mean overseas includes UK. The overseas jobs refer to jobs outside the UK, for London jobs one would normally look at the UK section.[​IMG]

10. Oh.

11. So what MMaker! I'm lovin' (like the burger) this thread about London! Some of us come from this noble city and appreciate any mention of home - regardless of the mundane topic!
    I'm lovin' it!