1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to London for first teaching post

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by buttons44, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am currently undertaking a PGCE up North, and am planning to move to London for my first teaching post, in September. I hope to work in Inner London, purely because of the money. I know that the living costs will be sky-high down there, so am posting here to connect with other people who are planning to do this. A friend of mine did her PGCE a few years back and four/five people from her course moved to London and lived in one house. She said it worked out really well for them.
    So, if your serious about moving to London in September, 2011, I would love to hear from you. I am hoping to get a job in North/West London. Please reply!
    A little bit about me: I'm a female, non-smoker, no pets, very tidy, sociable, and lovely (ha!)
    Thank you.

2. Hi,
    I am currently undertaking a PGCE up North, and am planning to move to London for my first teaching post, in September. I hope to work in Inner London, purely because of the money. I know that the living costs will be sky-high down there, so am posting here to connect with other people who are planning to do this. A friend of mine did her PGCE a few years back and four/five people from her course moved to London and lived in one house. She said it worked out really well for them.
    So, if your serious about moving to London in September, 2011, I would love to hear from you. I am hoping to get a job in North/West London. Please reply!
    A little bit about me: I'm a female, non-smoker, no pets, very tidy, sociable, and lovely (ha!)
    Thank you.

3. Hi,

I grew up in London and have spent most of my time living there. You need to really think about that decision before you make it. Don't just move because of the money because in all honesty, the extra that you get will disappear in living costs. Inner London is expensive, transport alone costs a fortune. Council tax is higher. But most of all, it's the going out that really does it I think, a night out or going out for a meal will cost you a lot more in London. You'll find a cheaper place to live if you live further out of central or inner london but then you'll have to pay more for travel. If you personally want to live in London anyway, then I'd say go for it, personally I love London and wouldn't want to live anywhere else long term. But if you do it, I really wouldn't expect to be having any extra money after paying out all of your living costs than you would be living outside of London.

But if you want to live in London anyway and the money is just a bonus, then go for it and have a great time! And good luck finding people to live with.

Caroline

4. Hi Caroline, thanks for your message. I have lived in London before, and realise it will be expensive, but it's definitely something I want to do. I have thought a lot about the expenses, however, I honestly believe i'll be able to manage. Thank you very much for your advice.
    I really need more people to reply to this post, as I know alot of people are thinking the same thing...please inbox message me if you don't want to reply to this post.

Thank you very much. Hope to hear from you soon.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If you are primary then you need to apply for the NQT pool system which works in most boroughs. The NUT First Post guide is a good source of information as is the TES New Teacher guide. Most boroughs have get togethers for new teachers to help sort out accommodation issues as it is more straight forward to do that on the spo as even a few miles in London can be very difficult to commute and you need to know the local situation.

6. Hi Buttons,

I am actually intending the same thing and hoping to find a nice flatshare.

Only problem is I'll be looking for somewhere that is "couple friendly", which some people find off-putting. I'll probably have to end up sharing with another couple, which just isn't quite as nice as sharing in a big flat with lots of different people, is it?

I actually met my husband through living in a big flatshare together a couple of years ago!

Let me know if you're interested in getting in touch...

x

7. Try get into the Camden pool for jobs - big borough, NW London and lots of support.
    Don't let people put you off...teaching in London is fantastic. I work on the inner London spine and I am no worse off here than I was teaching in the Midlands on MPS. If you've come from a big city up North to London, going out prices aren't that much different unless you're in the West End really.
    Good luck...and try not to live in Willesden...its very very dull

8. Thank you very much everyone, for your fantastic contributions. I am definitely moving to London! I have applied to the Camden pool 1983peace, so thank you for that. Isimply cannot wait to move there and begin my teaching career.

Much appreciated. [​IMG]