1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to London- advice please (take 2!)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by montyw, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Hi, I am a 23 yr old teacher, I have just completed my NQT year (secondary English). I am thinking seriously about moving to teach in London in September 2012.
    I would just like any advice, general, job specific, places to live, not to live! Do's/don'ts, helpful websites. Anything,
    I would be looking for a permanent job in secondary English (and drama). I realise London is a big place, I also realise the streets are not 'paved with gold'. I would just like a starting point!

Thank you :)

2. Hi, I am a 23 yr old teacher, I have just completed my NQT year (secondary English). I am thinking seriously about moving to teach in London in September 2012.
    I would just like any advice, general, job specific, places to live, not to live! Do's/don'ts, helpful websites. Anything,
    I would be looking for a permanent job in secondary English (and drama). I realise London is a big place, I also realise the streets are not 'paved with gold'. I would just like a starting point!

Thank you :)

3. I'm a 23 year old FE trained teacher and i've just made the move to Surrey (I'll be teaching in Kingston). One of the issues I had was figuring out where I could AFFORD to live that was within a commutable distance to the places I was applying for jobs. Central London is very expensive, and travel costs are substantial. The majority of Londoners commute over an hour to work each day, will you be prepared for this? To be able to afford my move I've decided to join a flatshare (spareroom.com is ace for this) in a slightly cheaper area just outside of Kingston. It's a 25 minute train journey to Waterloo, so easy to get into central London and a 6 minute train journey to work, or I can get the bus. Travel is one of the major considerations alongside where to live when moving to London. You need to ensure you're close to a tube/overground station and preferably on a bus route for those days when rail isn't reliable. Also look into how much your travelcard is going to set you back each month, you can find this info http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx on the TFL website.

As for WHERE to live, it all depends on budget and work location. Many of the outer London areas are very nice, especially south west (Kingston, Twickenham, New Malden, Clapham etc) and they're easy to commute to South London from. Places in North London around the Holloway Road/Upper Holloway/Finsbury Park areas are very nice, but still quite pricey. West London, I have friends in Ealing who really like it there and again it's easy to commute into central London. I've got friends who live/have lived in Bethnal Green/Whitechapel who really like/d it, although it's generally seen as being not as 'safe'.

As for jobs, you will be up against huge numbers of people so competition will be fierce. Make sure you thoroughly research the school you are applying to, look at the Ofsted reports, local press etc. The same as you would do for any job you're applying to. It'd be worth making the extra effort to visit as much as possible too.

Hope that helps, if I think of anything else I'll post it. My friend recently moved from Leeds to London and posted a blog about it, which is mildly interesting: http://www.lessonslearnedinlondon.co.uk/

4. I would still not advise moving to London on spec. Wherever you end up living, the costs of accommodation, travel etc will soon exhaust your financial resources and, as the previous poster has said, there are so many people in London looking for work. I wonder whether it might be worth considering another major city, like Birmingham or Manchester, rather than London, as in these places, there might not be so many people chasing each job.

5. Birmingham is definitely a desireable place to look for work at the moment. When I was applying for jobs there seemed to be an awful lot coming up in the area. There's lots of redevelopment going on in the city now and particular areas are very nice and easy to commute into central Birmingham.
    Obviously do not move to London without a job. If you manage to get a job sorted, and on the salary offered can afford to live, THEN move. I have a number of friends who have moved to London with a view to finding a job when they get there. Only one was successful and he struggled for the first month or two. Others have had to go crawling back home with their tails between their legs!

6. Thank you so much, that was really helpful!
    I am aware how much it costs to live in London and all expenses of travel etc, I have just always wanted to go!
    The tfl website you mentioned looks helpful. I needed a bit of help mapping out my budget.
    I currently live in Liverpool and with all the research i've done and speaking to friends already down there, I think with the London wage weighting but the luxury of not running a rather expensive car (albeit teamed with an increase in rent!) I think I will have pretty much the same amount of money, it might seem naive but I have worked it out on worst case scenario!
    I also already have a 40minute commute to work, so that doesn't necessarily bother me. prefer it not being on my doorstep!
    I have just found that being in Liverpool for my degree etc, there really isn't anything/one here for me anymore. Plus, although I love my job and schoo,l the majority of the friends I envisaged making are all quite a bit older so I move in hope of a new crowd! I think I would look at a flatshare option at first, seems like a good way of meeting people? Found a few other sites that help with this. I am quite tempted by Islington, I like Angel but it is pretty expensive and I like Clapham too. I realise they aren't exactly close! I suppose it depends if/where I get a job.
    Did you find your school helpful with travel routes etc?
    The prospect of looking for a job again is a bit scary but I definitely will not be moving unless I have the job confirmed. A few people have mentioned job pools. Do you know anything about them? I find them a little baffling!
    Sorry I am picking your brains a little!
    Thanks for all advice so far, refreshingly realistic but positive. :)

7. Not being employed in a school i'm not very knowledgeable about job pools, maybe post in your relevant section of the forum asking about these. I think there's some info on the job seekers portion of the site too, a very useful section of these forums!
    As with help from the college, I didn't get any with regards to travel routes etc. However, I didn't ask as I have a lot of friends in the area and they alongside the TFL website were really useful. You can type in your start/end locations and it will show you the quickets/most reliable routes for your journey at a particular time of the day so it's pretty useful. It becomes your best friend when you first move to London!
    Flatshares are definitely a good way to meet new people. I'm lucky in that I already have several small groups of friends dotted around the city/nearby and have been slowly introduced to their friends etc due to similar interests. The good thing about London is there's stuff for people of any interest/age etc so you'll soon find something to do where you'll meet likeminded people!

8. As someone who did the same 13 years ago (and am still here) consider your potential exit strategy.
    Living in London is possible on a teacher's salary - 1000s do it. What isn't possible is moving beyond the flatshare and rentals when you come to that age when you want to buy a house and settle down, and you realise that (a) you can't even afford a 2 bed tower block flat in London and (b) you'd be able to buy a 3 bed semi back home. That's where I am now! Long-term, your standard of housing and available spend would be far less.
    It then becomes rather difficult getting a job away from the South East, as you are expensive, can't easily look round schools back home.
    Look on it as a chapter in your life for 2-3 years, but take care not to get trapped.

9. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I stepped off a bus at Victoria in 1968 and have never wanted to live anywhere else.
    Job / living advice - go East young man. Proximity to the centre is not what counts - the ability to move around easily is. SE of the river was for years cheaper because of the poor connections (no tube to speak of, no river crossing) but that has changed and will improve. Hopping from north to south of the river is not the geographic feat and cultural break it once was.
    My youngish professional children have both rented shared places of a good standard for years, never owned or needed a car, know the transport system extremely well and do not skimp on their leisure spending.
    Try to live with any acquaintances you have for a while, get a job in one of the less central Inner London boroughs (which includes Newham by the way) and then start to find somewhere more permanent to live.

10. Exactly. Also, as people are saying, SE is a good place to start because it's still relatively cheap and trains go every 10 minutes. Places like Eltham, Hither Green - even some parts of Lewisham (!) are OK.
    Also one way to do it is find a job first and decide where to live afterwards to lessen the commute time. I got a job in Camden and then got into a house share in Kentish Town so as not to have to travel a lot.

11. I am a married female teacher living in Wimbledon and have a private studio flat to rent which is a converted annexe to my house. It is big, 22Sq metres and has its own front door, kitchen, bathroom etc. It is on the ground floor and I would like to rent it to a female teacher if possible. I currently work part-time as I have a young daughter. I would be looking for around £950 per month but this will include all bills. (which are around £150- including gas / water / council tax / electricity / broadband). We are five minutes walk to the station / tube and have off-street parking available. Would this be of any interest?