1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to leadership

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by School Boy Error, Feb 7, 2011.

1. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Hello, I am in my fifth year of teaching and to be honest the school I am in (my only one) is fairly poor when it comes to professional development. How would I go about preparing myself for a year leader / deputy head role? Are there any courses that people would recommend?
    Thanks

2. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Hello, I am in my fifth year of teaching and to be honest the school I am in (my only one) is fairly poor when it comes to professional development. How would I go about preparing myself for a year leader / deputy head role? Are there any courses that people would recommend?
    Thanks

3. Hi,
    I would say a school based module to help you gain credits would be a good option. Get name out there in your local authority by writing a newsletter for your local authority newsletter on an aspect of your teaching. You could also ask to lead embed a new project in school, like streaming phonics or more drama in literacy to imrpove chn's motivations. TeachersTV may give you some ideas.
    I would find out from your LEA what courses they can offer or twlights. I'm thinking of doing an MA.
    Good luck.