1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Jeddah

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by agbak, Oct 20, 2017.

1. agbak

agbak New commenter

Dear colleagues,
    I have a friend (mid 50's),female,wanting to move to Jeddah to take up a teaching appointment
    How soon will the work permit/residency be issued,as she would like to do a lot of travelling around the UAE and Southern Asia
    What are the school holidays like and when does school finish for the summer?
    Any idea of what the salaries are like,with the view of potential savings?
    How easy is it to send money back to the UK?
    Is it easy to go to the market,food outlets to buy food?
    Thanks so much

2. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Yep, easy to do everything except maybe travelling in certain areas. Work permit could be from 2 weeks to 2 months. Saving could be around 50% with traveling around a little. Some schools finish at the end of May this year

3. oldgit

oldgit New commenter

Can't argue with anything in truth seeker's contribution, but...

As a long-time Jeddah resident, now retired although still a frequent visitor, it's worth a trawl through a certain website containing reviews of international schools. Your friend would be well-advised to check these out as there are only a small number of schools providing a positive experience. Caveat emptor!

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

The human / rodent school is spectacularly awful, I seem to recall. As for the holidays, the dates will vary from school to school. It is quite a few years ago that this old hippo was at the house of thinking school. That was a horrible experience that I would not wish on my worst enemy!

5. agbak

agbak New commenter

I could sense the school in question 'Legendary Hippo'...:eek:

6. the hippo

Well, I am not sure that I am a legend.

7. crinauk

crinauk New commenter

Hello - I am a similar age to your friend and currently work in Jeddah so please message me for any info needed,

How soon will the work permit/residency be issued,as she would like to do a lot of travelling around the UAE and Southern Asia

You cannot leave the country, get a SIM card, bank account or internet until you have an igama as stated above this can take anything from 2 weeks to 2 months . Mine took the 2 months !
    What are the school holidays like and when does school finish for the summer? Better than the UK depending on the school.
    Any idea of what the salaries are like,with the view of potential savings? Depends on the package.
    How easy is it to send money back to the UK? No problem once you have an igama before this impossible !
    Is it easy to go to the market,food outlets to buy food? Yes the best place to shop is Lulu as its cheaper and has lots of western brands. Manuel in Hera Mall is also good , after that Danube (branches all over Jeddah). Food is more expensive but eating out is cheaper.

8. the hippo

Yes, but does that Turkish restaurant near the bicycle roundabout still make that yummy flat bread?