1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Houston, Texas

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by treenypops, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Hello,
    my husbands job has been relocated to houston. We will be moving out there in September. Unfortunately I won't be entitled to a working visa. Does anybody know how I can get sorted to work in the US. His contract is a 2 year contract so I could always volunteer for a couple of years and pick up where I left off once we come back but ideally I would be working. I am currently head of science. The british school of houston is not advertising for a biologist at the moment although I have sent off my CV.
    I believe I will have to get a texas teaching certificate, does anyone know how that would work?
    thanks
    treenypops

2. Hello,
    my husbands job has been relocated to houston. We will be moving out there in September. Unfortunately I won't be entitled to a working visa. Does anybody know how I can get sorted to work in the US. His contract is a 2 year contract so I could always volunteer for a couple of years and pick up where I left off once we come back but ideally I would be working. I am currently head of science. The british school of houston is not advertising for a biologist at the moment although I have sent off my CV.
    I believe I will have to get a texas teaching certificate, does anyone know how that would work?
    thanks
    treenypops

3. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

You don't need a Texas teaching certificate to teach at the British School of Houston. They employ UK qualified teachers. Whether or not you can apply locally, I dunno. But either way, if you aren't fixed up with a job when you fly out there, I would hazard a guess that it will be worth a shot telling them you are available. There is also the Awty International School http://www.awty.org/ Don't know how much of an "international" school it is but maybe it's worth a look see.

4. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

I am currently in Louisiana, so I can tell you how it works here. I assume in Texas the Federal Laws is the same but the procedures may be different. This is info on certification for educators trained outside Texas

http://www.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/certinfo/routescertif.asp#oos2

I know from experience (in Louisiana) that the local school board can sponsor a work permit for you if they are unable to find a qualified teacher to fill a position.