1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jamesandrewpollock, Jan 6, 2016.

  1. jamesandrewpollock

    jamesandrewpollock New commenter

    Hi all,

    I have recently accepted a position teaching at a well-respected school in HK, and will be moving there along with my partner (unmarried), and (possibly) a small dog for a start in September 2016.

    I have visited HK once earlier this year, so have a basic awareness of the city and what it will be like to live there.

    If anyone has any advice/pointers on accommodation, or anything else, your comments would be much appreciated.

    I should mention that this is my first international position, so am quite new to this whole process.

    I will be letting my house whilst I am abroad, so any advice on this would be appreciated too!

    Best regards,

  2. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    if this is a "well respected school" then shouldn't they be providing you with accommodation?
  3. worlo24

    worlo24 Occasional commenter

    I too would appreciate information about living in Hong Kong if anyone could send me a pm? Thanks
  4. jamesandrewpollock

    jamesandrewpollock New commenter

    They are providing initial accommodation, and then a generous salary that will cover the high accommodation costs in HK.
  5. jamesandrewpollock

    jamesandrewpollock New commenter

    Have you got a position, or just looking?
  6. worlo24

    worlo24 Occasional commenter

    I am currently looking but sent a few applications off. Just trying to gather a little information about the city as I was only there for a few days last time around.
  7. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Been teaching internationally now for nearly ten years, over 3 continents, and have not once had to pay anything out of my salary for accomadation. Is this a common practice for "well respected schools" in Hong Kong?
  8. jamesandrewpollock

    jamesandrewpollock New commenter

    One school offered accommodation on site/nearby, or an allowance towards independently located accom.

    Position I've accepted is a generous salary, of which it is expected you'll spend roughly 35-40% on accommodation, wherever you choose to live.
  9. ejclibrarian

    ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

    I guess if you decide to rent something that is above the accommodation allowance given to you by the school then you will need to pay out something for rent. My partner and I are not married so live on a single person allowance. We pay out around 40GBP a month for rent over the school allowance.
  10. rouxx

    rouxx Lead commenter

    I know a little about Hong Kong - lots of contacts there.

    Accommodation allowance in salary or salary adjustment to allow for renting is fairly common (though not all schools) - but be aware prices in Hong Kong are sky high for very small places and most of my friends have to supplement allowances. It does look like the school have given you an indication of the percentage of your salary. So hopefully that is accurate.

    Dog - I do know it is VERY difficult to find places in the city that will accept dogs and your apartment is likely to be very small. You may well do better to find somewhere in outlying areas (depending on school location) but that may mean a long commute.

    Letting your house in the UK - make sure you get your tax situation sorted so you don't pay tax on the rental income. Personally I use a letting agent - deals with everything for me, but it comes at a cost.

Share This Page