1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Germany, advise needed.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by FromEuropeToEurope, Jan 28, 2019.

1. FromEuropeToEurope

FromEuropeToEurope New commenter

I am moving from the US to Germany. My school is willing to pay for relocation cost up to a certain amount. My questions is, what do I bring?
    For example, I have a large classroom library that I have accumulated over the years. I don't know if I will be able to find these books written in English, and if I do will cost me a small fortune?
    I also have two bicycles that would be considered very high end in Germany, should I ship those?
    Professional books, centers, classroom supplies, tools, furniture?
    Should I buy an unlocked phone?

Finally, is there a moving company that you would recommend?

2. Jessaki

Jessaki Occasional commenter

Where are you moving to? You can pm if you have any specific questions.

3. ed717

ed717 New commenter

The school usually will be able to give details of a shipping company. I left the UK 3 years ago with nothing more than a suitcase...most of my books and other possessions I either kept at my mums or gave to charity shops :D

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  4. FromEuropeToEurope

Jessaki- I would love to PM, for some reason my PM feature is not working. My questions still remain.
    What should I bring, bearing in mind that the school will pay shipping.
    Bikes? Books?
    Will I be able to purchase children’s book in English?
    Any recommendations on a shipping company?
    Should I bring an unlocked phone?

ED717- we may be in a different boat. I’m in the US and have ALOT of stuff. Cars, bikes, electronics, books, furniture and on and on. I am trying to decide what goes and what stays.
    From what I have seen bikes are a must bring.

5. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

There are some variations in the cost of things; but broadly the cost of living in Germany is in line with most 'developed' countries in Western Europe / north America. You can buy pretty much anything you want! Books printed in English are easily (and cheaply) available on amazon.de (they have a huge mother tongue section) including second-hand. You can also check out 'unlocked' mobile phones on there to get comparable prices (although these are widely available; even at the checkouts in most supermarkets for the lower end of mobiles).

Abroad, I use a dual sim phone so I have my UK sim and overseas sim in the same phone - much, much easier. It means I don't need to ever carry two phones and my friends/family in UK can still use the contact details they have.

When I move schools/countries I bring all my teaching resources and books with me (although the resources are now mostly on a memory stick).

Germany is brilliant for cycling (bike lanes almost everywhere) but after a year or two on my mountain bike I bought a city bike (think Amsterdam) which was much more suitable for city and town use. My other bikes were used for longer distance and weekend excursions.

6. FromEuropeToEurope

It feels like time is flying. We are getting closer and closer to finishing up our school year here (in the states) and moving to Germany.
    I would love to chat with someone that has taught or is currently teaching in Germany. Any chance someone can start a chat since I am unable to do so (new commenter).
    It would be especially helpful if you are currently or have been in northern Germany.

Thank you!