1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving to France

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mbene29, Apr 2, 2018.

1. mbene29

mbene29 New commenter

Hello all,

I'm HoD in MFL and my partner is second in English being head of house before this. We are not married and do not have children yet.
    Being a French native myself, we are looking at trying to teach in France from September 2019. I'd be very grateful if you could help me with the following questions:
    -how difficult is it to get a job in France? We would particularly like to teach in the south (Toulouse, Bordeaux, etc)
    -what is the best way to get started? Do you register through an agency or do you just apply when you find the advert on the tes?
    -are jobs usually a one year contract or are some permanent?
    -which sort of package could you expect from French schools?
    -we don't have any background in teaching IB: would that be a big issue?

Many thanks, have a lovely Easter x

2. Northernsole

Northernsole Occasional commenter

Working in France is VERY hard in some ways, very nice in others. The good, very strong union presence, 18 hours maximum contact time. The bad. Unless you have a french teaching qualification forget about french schools, they routinely ignore EU legislation requiring them to recognize other EU qualifications. International schools generally pay poorly in france.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

The IB lists all its schools by country on its website. You can start looking there.

4. kdec

kdec New commenter

For your partner he could seriously look at the many bilingual sections in France as he teaches English (they teach English and History in English) however most are state and he wouldn't stand a chance. There is an international school in Toulouse and one of these sections (private) so he could get a job at either and they pay ok. Bordeaux forget it. As for you you'd have to sit the concours and teach English or French in state or Catholic schools. If you already have a PGCE then you don't need to do the training year.

1. Apply directly to the areas with an international section you would like to live in.
    2. Prepare for the concours.
    3. Almost all jobs are permanent.
    4. No IB: no problem.
    5. Package? Enough to live fine if both of you are working.

5. classfive

classfive New commenter

I taught in France at an international school in le Cote d'Azur. Cost of living is very high, but life was good and my daughter (now age 13) is bingual. It is really hard to get a job in an international school and teachers tend to stay put for 30 years. The French government have many bilingual schools, although the salaries are much lower and teaching style very knowledge based and traditional.

melmmow likes this.