1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to England

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by fionamurray26, Nov 9, 2019.

1. fionamurray26

fionamurray26 New commenter

Hi,
    I’ve been a teacher in Scotland for 30 years and am considering a move south.
    Had anyone moved from Scotland to England and what were your experiences?
    Also, how does it work regarding pay? I’m on my maximum obviously but where would I be in the English pay scale?
    Thanks x

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Have no personal experience of this but salaries can be negotiated at interview.

fionamurray26 likes this.
  3. parseltongue

parseltongue New commenter

Is pay still portable in Scotland? It isn't in England, so in theory you could be offered MPS1. Be very sure to clarify pay before verbally accepting a job. Also, some academies set their own pay scales, so UPS1 may well be a few hundred pounds more at school A, compared to school B....

fionamurray26 and agathamorse like this.
  4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

You can still get porridge in England.

5. Counterpart

Counterpart New commenter

If you are moving purely for professional reasons I'd say be careful (I'll come back to that); if for family or desire to live in England then that is different.

The pay is completely different: main scale up to MS6 and then UPS. Even the highest, UPS3, is now less than top of main scale in Scotland. That said tax is lower here. For example, I've just enquired about take home pay in Scotland at top of main and have been advised that it's approx. £2300 a month. On UPS 1, you're looking at approx. £2200 so if you can get UPS3 you should be taking home more.
    That said, as the post above warns, UPS is not the same everywhere either. You are definitely not guaranteed to get top pay just because you are in Scotland - that's been proven to me!

Workload is the real issue. There is far more scrutiny of books and marking can be somewhat crazy although I guess it depends on the subject. Job security is not the same either. You can be made redundant far more easily. If you're surplus to requirements then it is goodbye - not a move to another school in the authority (check out academy trust system).

I'd be careful with your pension - I'd leave yours where it is, I did and it is nowhere near 30 years' worth, and start a fresh contribution down here but best take proper advice on that one.

There are positives! A real plus is that the summer holidays are at a better time of year! Starting in June, as many up there now do, is ridiculous. You also have much easier access to everywhere, although somewhat depending on where you're thinking about living.

I hope this is of some help and if I can think of anything else I'll add it in later.

C.

fionamurray26 likes this.
  6. fionamurray26

Done think its portable but would need to check. Thanks for info though.

7. fionamurray26

Many thanks. I'm on 0.8 at the moment so take home is about £1850. My pension sadly is only about 16 years due to lots of part time work and time off to have children etc. Will need to do a lot more research I think. The reason for the question is that my partner is English and we have talked about moving south at some point.