1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Egypt....

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by letaps, Jun 17, 2010.

1. I have just accepted a job in the Red Sea area and I'm wondering if anyone else is heading out that way?

2. I have just accepted a job in the Red Sea area and I'm wondering if anyone else is heading out that way?

3. No. Those that are there don't post and those on the way have/has just posted.
    Nice there, though. I presume Hurghada (sp?).

4. Shame they don't post - I'll have to wait until I get there to meet people then I guess.
    The school is in El Gouna, not too far from Hurghada.

5. anyone with 2012 info on the school there? Please PM me.

6. Yep- seconded, If anyone has recent news on the El Gouna School please PM me . . .

7. Hello could anyone who has worked or still works for the school in El Gouna, please send me a PM. Im thinking of applying for a position there and would love any insights into the school or living in that region. Is it relatively safe?

8. Relative to where? I am in Cairo and feel very safe.
    Going to Gouna for a hols soon and not at all worried about safety.
    Lovely place, I've heard, and big enough to support a nice enough school. I would opt for a big city myself, but I wouldn't discount Gouna for a posting.

9. Thanks for your reply Foneypharaoh, the pictures look amazing. Well safe in relation to being affected by the internal conflicts.

10. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

El Gouna's pretty quiet in terms of conflicts, though there was a protest on the road in Hurghada a while back about foreigners taking Egyptian jobs I seem to recall (though it was about lower paid workers undercutting Egyptians, not so much the higher paid workers).

I've got friends who live there and nothing much happens - or hasn't yet anyway. I spent a few days there last summer, very nice, quiet. There's a German University opened up there recently, too, if I remember correctly so could be 'up and coming' in terms of social life if that bothers you much.

11. Hello AshgarMary, thanks for your reply :) Whenever these protests occur, are the protesters physically aggressive towards foreigners?
    This place sounds like a go and I have just sent in my application to the school. If any new info. pops up, please let me know.

THANKS, REDCARD23.

12. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Not aware of any physical hostility to Westerner foreigners down there.

13. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

I just got back from Gouna today. It's a lovely place if you're in a four/five star resort, but I'm not sure how it would be full time, particularly if you're living in an apartment away from the tourist area. I think it'd wear thin pretty quick. Hanging out in the tourist restaurants is pretty expensive too.

14. Hi I am thinking of accepting a teaching post In El Gouna, and would appreciate if anyone has any information on the school there. I have tried searching on International Schools Review and on the web but had no luck. Any information would be appreciated. You can always PM with any information.

Many thanks