1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Dubai to teach with Children

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Smalley1409, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Smalley1409

Smalley1409 New commenter

Hi,

I’m interested in teaching in Dubai, I feel like I may have missed my chance though as I have a 4 and 1 year old - I wanted some advice from anyone out there with children/family as to the child care and schooling. I moved around a lot as a child and it never impacted me but I want to make sure.

Also are there any implications for my husband working too In terms of packages offered? He is likely to earn much more than me in his line of work.

Thanks in Advance x

2. tyler durden

tyler durden New commenter

Dubai is great for young children with plenty for them to do. Most schools will offer 2 child places free (Or very reduced fees). But beware, nursery places can be expensive for a 1 year old and many schools will not enroll until at least 3 years old.

If you are sponsored by your husband then he will likely receive the housing allowance from his job instead of you from your school. This would make you a cheaper (and therefore more attractive) option for schools.

Good luck!

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

The salaries, packages and chances for getting employed vary considerably by profession. If hubbies’ has the better market, he should seek a job first, and he’ll get family benefits that cover everyone for flights, housing, insurance, tuition etc. Only then do you seek employment, as you will then be local hire: salary only, no package.
    It may sound strange, but it works.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yup, gulfers is right, yet again. This is the standard way to do it and not just in Dubai.

5. roundtwo

roundtwo New commenter

Hiya, just joining in on this as also relevant to my situation - How would it work if the teacher got the contract first? Myself and husband are looking at moving to Dubai with 2 primary age kids, I grew up in the ME so do fancy going back to live as a family there, but all the teaching jobs are being advertised now, id like to be in the same school as my kids, my husbands job will be better paid but he has only started looking now...

Also teaching conditions? last time I worked in a ME school it was very disorganised and I had a rough time, it put me off, I got pretty stressed! how well do they treat staff especially those with kids..

TTA likes this.
  6. TTA

TTA New commenter

Really similar circumstances to roundtwo. We were looking for my job first because of the hiring season. But not sure who will make more.

Do you think it matters that much in terms of salary negotiations? And I think I already know the answer to this but we can’t “double up” the benifits eg to make sure we can rent a villa rather then a flat?

Finally how competitive are SLT jobs? I am slt now but was considering applying slt in this round and the teacher in the Easter round of if I haven’t found an slt post. Thoughts also welcomed on this idea.

Thank you!