1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Cyprus - any advice?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bluekangeroo, Apr 22, 2009.

1. I'm moving to Cyprus in August, and living abroad for the first time, and was wondering if anyone had any advice to offer me? I'll be teaching in one of the SCE schools on the island, which has been my dream for the last 6 years. As a singly, it is a bit daunting though.

2. Hi there,
    Do you know what month the job pool opens for SCE schools? It is my ultimate goal to work with SCE abroad. Is it different for NQT's to individuals with complete QTS. This is the first post I have found regarding my "dream post".
    Any advice would be great :)
    Good luck with Cyprus you will love it :)

3. I could be wrong but I'm sure I saw a post advertised for NQT's only. I may be wrong but this is not really the best time for SCE jobs as they advertise earlier for September. Give it a while and the christmas jobs will be probably popping up.

4. sun seeker

sun seeker New commenter

hi i hope you are still following this thread coz i need some advice. just got taken on the pool and like you really want cyprus. how did they react when you turned down a job in germany? how long were you on the pool before they offered you a job? i am desperate to move like yesterday!!! would love to talk in more detail let me know if you want to chat and i will give you my e-mail cheers

5. I regularly have a nosy. So this primary pool when they offer you a post is is permanent or temporary? Is there a secondary one? Just interested really.

6. I love Cyprus, and I am little jealous, too. But when offered a job there quite a few years ago, I looked at salary and taxes etc. It wasn't impressive and prices were ok then. A friend of mine has just left there to go to Sudan and, as a couple, they 'survived' in Limassol; they didn't work for the company you refer to though. Cyprus has become pretty damn pricey (I was there a couple of months ago). Good luck and all that, but be aware it costs a few bob to get 'moolared' there.

7. I totally agree foneypharoh. I've looked at some of the private schools and had interviews for some too and there is no way I could afford to live in Cyprus on those wages. If you are not working for SCE then I think it would be difficult to live comfortably over there.

8. sun seeker

sun seeker New commenter

i was told that they have about 120-140 applicants for the pool and interview about 20. how many they take on is a movable feast. the jobs are perm. pending a satisfactory 1st year. they run different pools for nqt and supply as well as a seperate one for brunei. hope that helps any one. i too have looked at private sector in cyprus and had to turn down an interview once i realised what they are paying. i a married with 2 kids so no way could i live on the pay. i am so excited i cant wait but of course i still need to be actually offerd a job by a school and i really dont know how long that could take! know they keep you on file for 2 years then you need to re apply i really hope that doesnt happen though

9. equifox1

equifox1 New commenter

Hi Bluekangeroo,

I currently work in foundation stage in a SCE school just outside Limassol, we are getting two new FS teachers, I wonder will one of them be you!?! :)
    Congratulations on getting the job!
    You'll love it out here, I've been here for 5years. It's hot and sticky at the moment but a dip in the pool in the evening cools you down.

I'm not single, but there are a number of single teachers out here and they seem to enjoy the good life.[​IMG]
    equifox

10. Yes, that's me! I know the other teacher coming also - we were interviewed together in Germany. Funny how things work out isn't it?

11. Just bu mping this up for Bert. Can't imagine much has changed there.
    If you have your heart set on a particular place, you'll be very lucky to get whay you want. Perhaps you should widen your search (ie the world).

12. Thanks.

13. mumbobumbo

mumbobumbo New commenter

Hello. I've just read this thread with interest and wondered how those of you that successfully got a job in an SCE school in Cyprus are doing now. Are you still enjoying it and would you recommend it?

I've been teaching for 7 years but my husband is an NQT this year. How strict are they about working for 3 years in the
    UK first?

Thanks!

14. sun seeker

sun seeker New commenter

Hi they are great to work for especially when you read some of the international horror stories on here. I am currently back in the Uk due to family issues but have regretted the return ever since I came back and thats a few of years ago now. I would go back tomorrow and believe me checking the TES is like a life line for me every friday. There have been very few jobs recently due to relocating germany staff elsewhere. Here is to the dream!!
    Drop me a line if you want a chat.