1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Canada

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MatthewJMoss, Jun 25, 2016.

1. MatthewJMoss

MatthewJMoss New commenter

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody who has moved from England to Canada to teach could give me some advice? Both myself and partner teach Science (me Biology and her Chemistry), are young and have a PGCE/PGDE.Thinking of British Columbia

Many thanks

Matt

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Can not talk directly about it, but i do know i have worked with a huge amount of Canadians around the world who left because they couldnt get work back home.

Im not sure if this is true anymore, but didnt they have to prove that they couldnt find a Canadian to do your job before they offer it to someone from overseas?

3. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

There are still no jobs in BC. A friend left a job in China last year. Took her a year to find a job, and then it was only in a private school. It might be easier with the sciences, but only marginally. You'd probably still need to go up north.

Also (and I'm assuming this is still true, haven't looked into it for a few years), you need five years of university to teach in BC. If you have a three year first degree you'll need to do an extra year. You will also have to take extra courses on top of your PGCE to make it equivalent. B.Ed.s in BC are 60 credits taken in 12 months, which is basically two years of uni squashed into one.

snowflakesfalling likes this.
  4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

My Canadian friends all report there are no jobs for them back home. If you really want to move to Canada, you might need a different profession.

5. cb324

cb324 Occasional commenter

Like others have said, I think you're really going to struggle to find a job. We had 2 teachers at our school because they also couldn't find a job in Canada. I heard teachers there tend to find one place and stay there for a very long time.

Might want to contact some schools and see what the situation is. Being a science teacher will probably make it a little easier, especially if you don't mind teaching maths.

6. poustchi23

poustchi23 New commenter

I am currently living in Canada, specifically Vancouver in BC. I am a teacher from the UK, although I have both Canadian and UK nationality.

Firstly, if you want to teach here, you cannot do so without a certificate from the Teacher Regulation Branch. To get one, you will need to fill in lots of paperwork and pay $395 (this takes around 4-6 weeks to get). Because you are from the UK, most likely they will give you a temporary certificate for 5 years and tell you that if you want to get a permanent certificate, you will need to upgrade your qualifications. I have just done this, even though I already had a degree, a Secondary PGCE, and 4 years of teaching experience (I needed to do an extra 24 credits - 18 credits of educational coursework and 6 credits of university level English).

There are some subjects that are in need here, and I think that Science is one of them. You need to apply to districts (i.e. North Vancouver, West Vancouver), and cannot apply to individual schools (not sure about private schools though). All jobs can be found on the "Make a Future" website for BC. However, you don't just walk into a job here, like in the UK (unless you're lucky and teach a subject that is in demand). Normally you'll be put on the TOC list first (Teacher On Call - i.e. supply teaching list = no guarantee of hours), or if you're lucky the DOC list (district teacher on call = guaranteed number of hours per week).

It is true, many teachers here leave the profession or go abroad, as there is no guarantee how long you'll be on the TOC list before you find a permanent teaching job. I've heard some can be on the TOC list for 3/4 years or more (again, it all depends on the subject you teach)! I read somewhere that the average income for a TOC is $12,000 per year, and with the high cost of BC, you'd definitely need a second job. It's also about who you know here, so if you make some good contacts, then you might get off the list quicker than others.

Hope this helps!

7. mrswindybank

mrswindybank New commenter

Hi all,

My family and I are thinking about moving to BC. I am French with a French degree, a PGCE and I have recently completed the NPQSL. I have 19 years' experience and would like to teach French immersion which I believe there is a shortage of in BC. Would I qualify for certification or shall we just find a plan B? My husband is a PGCE trained biology teacher but he has been teaching Carpentry and joinery for the last 10 years and would look for a job in that context. Any help or advice very gratefully received!!!

8. AnniePetraschuk

AnniePetraschuk New commenter

Hello,

I was wondering if you had made any progress with moving to Canada. My husband has similar qualifications to yours and I am trying to look into how we could move to Canada and teach successfully.

Thank you