1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to California from UK to teach

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by miccowan7, Sep 19, 2018.

1. miccowan7

miccowan7 New commenter

Hi there, I am moving to California- Long Beach in LA with my wife. I qualified as a teacher in the UK and have 8 years teaching experience in the UK and Australia. Has anyone else made the same move or can suggest how to get my qualifications recognised? Where to look for jobs ? which schools to look for work?

Thanks, MIchael

2. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Do you have QTS? Should not be any need to do more if so, just hand it in to the school and teach :)

Depending on where you live in the UK, often the councils have links to teaching jobs in their area and this is a good place to start. TES, too.

I have recently returned from overseas and the main annoyance you tend to get is hearing 'oh but you won't be up to date with the curriculum' - so worthwhile mentioning how you are up to date in any application.

Having said that, the shortage situation is so bad you should find it easy to get a job. Generally it is the same as everywhere in that if you are willing to go into the larger cities and the not so nice areas then it becomes even easier to get a job.

So a fall back plan if it is getting tough to find a job is to take a position at a 'challenging' school then work on getting out, using that as your new found and relevant to the UK experience.