1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Cairo

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by confused673, Feb 14, 2012.

1. I have just accepted a job working at a school in Cairo. When I tell friends and family this the news is often met with a sharp intake of breath given the news reports we hear over here about riots etc. I have spent the last two years working in Kenya so am aware of how to live in a foreign country and respect their culture etc. I would appreciate any advice on where to live, what to wear - I know the obvious not to wear shorts etc but wondered to what extent I need to cover up, is it worth getting a car?
    I would welcome any constructive advice anyone has to offer!

2. I loved my time in Cairo and may very well return at some point.

Where you live will depend on where you're teaching and what it is you're after. Maadi is good for expat clubs and shops selling favourites from the UK and US. Heliopolis is more Egyptian, I personally didn't like it there, too much of the wrong kind of attention. Rehab is out of town and so not quite as noisy and polluted but then it's dry so you can't just nip to a pub after work. For me Maadi was the easiest and pretty safe although crime has been on the rise (mainly theft)

You don't need to seriously cover up if you're in Maadi as it is such an expat area, t-shirt and shorts are fine.

I had a car but driving in Egypt isn't for everyone and prepare to get is scraped and dented by people who don't give a ****.

Enjoy Cairo, it can take a bit of getting used to but once you get into the swing of things it's a great place.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

In some ways I would say that Kenya is probably good training for Cairo!
    Mrs Hippo and I were at the place for ex-alcoholics during the reign of Mr Black. Heliopolis has its positive points. Maadi might perhaps be more convenient, in some ways, and certainly it is full of expats. Dressing conservatively, rather than just a t-shirt and shorts, usually means that you won't attract so many stares.

4. What school? What area? This is relevant.

5. I loved Heliopolis, exactly for that reason, but that was nearly 30 years ago.

6. I know lots of people that still do. It really depends on what you want.

Phoney's right though, your school will have a bearing on where you can live, traffic in Cairo can be awful. In the morning my journey would be less than 30 mins, after school often an hour and sometimes up to 3 hours (only a few times a year thankfully)

7. the school is in Mirage City New Cairo

8. You will live in Maadi or the 5th Settlement. The 5th is dry, but very clean. Maadi is an ex-pat hub of Cairo with Brit clubs and the like there. Not dry! Bit of a drive to the school (20-25 minutes..).
    Think the school you are going to (anagram of ECS?) is on the Suez Road; big fancy looking place. Has improved much but haven't heard much from it recently.
    Haven't met any staff from there lately, so again, can't comment.
    On a scale of 'I would work there', 'I might work there', 'if I had to, I would work there', 'I would never work there' and 'are you kidding'? I would go for 'I would work there'. However, I already have a job.

9. You would be correct on the school - thanks for the feedback nice to hear the views of someone not connected! Maadi is where I have been looking when seeing what is around for my accommdation allowance on the net!

10. I have lived in Cairo for nearly four years. Each one has been crazy but fun; the past year crazier than most! I absolutely love it and am now in the proces of buying a place. Egyptians are wonderful people.
    My school is great and better than anything I've experienced in the UK. I live in Zamalek which is fantastic, better than Maadi in my limited opinion.
    Enjoy the job and the city.
    I think should get a job with the Egyptian Toursit Board!
    You'll have a ball!!!!!

11. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Confused - see you in the ACE sometime!

12. Do I know you? There's something vaguely familiar about the way you phrase...

13. zamalek71...you've got mail.