1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Australia

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by beccacrook92, Jun 21, 2016.

1. beccacrook92

beccacrook92 New commenter

I am thinking about moving to Australia and still being a secondary maths teacher.
    At the moment I am trying to decide the best option for a visa whether it's working holiday and work part time or a skilled migration visa where I can work permanently?!

Any advice is appreciated

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I can't help on which visa to apply for but there is something else to consider.
    Did you get QTS via a PGCE or via a GTTP/ B.Ed?
    Australia nad New Zealand only accept you as a qualified teacher if you qualified in the UK with a PGCE.

3. beccacrook92

Yes I qualified with a PGCE and now finishing off my second year

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Would you be able to teach with a working holiday visa? The working holiday visa only lets you work for one employer for six months, so unless you're planning on doing supply work it's going to be impossible to get a job.

I thought you needed to register with the relevant teaching agency over there too, which may take some time and money in having your qualifications assessed etc., and may be different in each state.

5. beccacrook92

I could teach but like you say only supply or maternity cover for up to 6 months.

Yeah you do also need to register but at the moment I can't decide the state I would like to go to start with.

I understand it will take a considerable amount of time as well. I am just looking for advice off teachers who have made this move already