1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Moving to a specialist advisory teacher role.

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by AFINCH100, Aug 6, 2015.

  1. Hi

    I have worked in primary previously and now work as an SEN Teacher in a school for children with PLD. My long term goal is to become a specialist teacher, advising mainstream schools how to support SEN children. I am not sure on the best way into a role like this or what additional qualifications I would need. If you have any advice I would very much appreciate it.
  2. minnie me

    minnie me Star commenter

    I think ( but stand to be corrected ) that these roles are few and far between. I once had two seconded posts - SEND (part time ) and then Assessment ( full time ). Lovely jobs and I learnt a lot. For the SEND post it was sufficient that my own school was a bit of leading light in the LA and quite innovative in its approaches. I suspect also that I had some street cried working and bring successful with very challenging students. I did some elements of an Inclusion Masters for the theory on which to base the practice but no long term specialist qualification although I did have NPQH and a Dip PGCE. I had case studies and articles published again based on the practices of my setting. This too helped in establishing that I knew my stuff. Have a look and see what kind of positions are on offer out there and then maybe tailor your expectations accordingly ?
  3. Thank you.

Share This Page