1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to a new school with different pay date

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Bhuiop, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Bhuiop

Bhuiop New commenter

Hi

I’m moving to a new school with a different pay date and I wondered how it works with payslips.

I was last paid on the 18th Aug and am contracted until the 31st Aug. I received my usual pay. Nothing extra.

My contract at the new school starts on the 1st September and they have a pay date of the 27th September.

Am I correct in thinking that I will receive a pay slip from the old school for the time between my last pay day and the end of my contract, and I will receive a pay slip from my new school for the period of the 1st - 27th September.

I’ve been in teaching a while but this is my first move.

Thanks

2. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Is your August pay for the whole month? Were you only paid for two weeks in your first cheque or for the whole month?

3. Bhuiop

Bhuiop New commenter

I honesty can’t remember my first pay slip. The current one just says “pay slip for August”. Now wondering if I’m going to have to make the last pay packets stretch an extra 9 days

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Usually the pay you receive on the monthly pay day is for the whole of that calendar month, ie what you received on 18th August would be your pay for the period 1st - 31st August. But there's no law that says it has to be that way, some employers have monthly pay periods that are not aligned with the calendar month. Every employer decides that sort of thing for themselves. The only way to find out is to contact HR/Payroll at your old school and ask them.

Contracts typically say something like 'you are paid monthly in arrears' which technically means the school does not have to pay you until the last calendar day of the month. In practice, for administrative convenience, it is paid a few days before the month end. Hence your new school having a pay date of the 27th September. I would expect that when your new school pays on 27th September the pay will be for the whole of September, 1st - 30th September. But check with their HR/pay person when you get there.

One thing is certain though. The pay from your new school will not cover any period before 1st September.

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

My MAT pays on the 19th of the month in line with the local authority payday. In both cases it is pay for the whole month. So , no, you’re not likely to get extra pay for the end of the month especially as the payslip is entitled ‘for August’. You will have to survive an extra nine days on your August pay before receiving any from your new job. Do you have any direct debits that you have set to be paid around the 18th that could be moved back to 28th? That could help.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Your annual salary is divided into twelve and paid at 12 dates throughout the year. You’ll get your regular salary at the appropriate date in September.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is very likely that all those who have suggested that you are paid for the whole calendar month each time are right, meaning that your August payment covers the end of your employment there and you won't get any more. But if you in any doubt, why not ask your old school? @Sundaytrekker's advice on direct debits (and standing orders) is good - it can cause problems when a pay date is changed.