1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to a new school building

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Andrew Horsley, May 14, 2019.

1. Andrew Horsley

Andrew Horsley New commenter

I am after advice we are moving to a refurbished school (new building to us) this is happening in October. Are we legally allowed to close the school for a number of days to physically move?

I’ve had a look and can’t find anything.

Cheers

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Yes but it won't make you popular with parents unfortunately (but then what does?)

3. Andrew Horsley

Andrew Horsley New commenter

perhaps not just the parents we would upset. Do you know where I might find the guidance on this - how many days? How much notice needs to be given? And what coding to use for the register?

Thank you in advance.

4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Contact your LA. They advised us when we did it but I'm not still in touch with the school I'm afraid.

5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

You would need to seek authorisation from the LA- but can you not organise this for half term week- that would make more sense!

6. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

Is that not the teachers' holidays?

7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

It is- but it’s the less disruptive time to move school site- also, do staff really need to be present? As long as everything is packed up and labelled then these can be moved by the site team or external contractors.

NIHistoryTeacher likes this.
  8. TheBigPickle

TheBigPickle New commenter

I have experience of this as my school relocated to another part of time a few years back. If I am not mistaken, we used INSET days for this. I think you have to work moving around your current time table.

9. Catjellycat

Catjellycat Occasional commenter

Inset days were used here too.