1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving teaching and learning from good to outstanding - any good CPD materials?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Cliveuk, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Anyone know of good CPD materials to help further embed aspects of outstanding practice - what would be most useful would be a resource with video clips of outstanding practice to share and discuss within meetings - any ideas or suggestions of a resource like this? I believe there are some programmes / sequences of CPD out there but don't know which are any good.

Many thanks

Clive

2. Why not ask a local Head to spend 2 days with you on a thorough self evaluation report? Might be cheaper than buying a pack & more personalised? Lots of firms offer this and LA's but a working Head might be more practical, give you free back up materials & may invite you back!

3. R13

R13 New commenter

The NCSL are in the process of recruiting for the Outstanding Facilitators Programme (OFP) and this is about a couple pf hundred Outstanding teachers who will be taught to deliver a course to good teachers who want to becoe outstanding in the new year.
    No idea on costs or quality but it sounds right up your street so it could be worth a gogle or a call

4. In my experience, most teachers are capable of providing excellent teaching and learning if they are provided with the right structures, guidelines and permissions. The link below is to a short resource that outlines, in a simple way, what I have set out to put in place in various schools across the country. These basic principles have helped teachers move from inadequate to outstanding and schools to move from special measures to good and better! This may not be exactly what you are searching for, but I hope you find it useful.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/10-Simple-Steps-to-Great-Teaching-and-Learning-6091232/

5. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

Hi Mr Searl,
    I've tried to open your document but it appears locked with the need for a password.
    Would love to read it
    Ian

6. Mr Searl loved the ppt and was so glad you mentioned play,enjoyment and outside the box! Too many teachers have become automatoms and their lessons are on paper good but in delivery boring!
    Good video clips for Early years and I would say KS1 are the videos regarding the EProfile found here http://www.teachfind.com/qcda/trap-baddies-qcda
    Also many excellent videos from Teachers TV now on TES.
    I also found I could improve teaching and learning when INSET days had a real link and staff enriched their own understanding by spending time in an art gallery, in the science museum etc.
    Pat ( now semi retired!)

7. Hi Ian
    The PowerPoint can be viewed by clicking "Read only"
    John.

8. R13

R13 New commenter

Thanks very much for the powerpoint.
    I'm not sure where you have used this in the past but I thought you might like to know it just got a rave review from the teacher in charge of our Special School Nursery for kids with Complex, Severe and Profound Learning Difficulties - she now intends to use it with her colleagues to help maintain and further her Outstanding practice

9. Thank you for sharing this R13. You've made me feel quite emotional. Of course, the principles of good teaching and learning apply to all learners. Best wishes to you and your school.

10. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I'm reading 'The Lazy Teacher's Handbook' on the recommendaion of another teacher. There are some excellent ideas there. It's secondary orientted I think but suitable for my good ability year six.

11. And the main thing is learning, Mike Hughes- recommend to move teaching up a grade.

12. Bump back to the original post or to your magnanimous answer last poster? A little arrogance goes a long way. How heartening.