1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving so Spain with family

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by andrewkpyoung, Aug 1, 2017.

1. nollaig

nollaig New commenter

the dodgy music doc and his egregiously incompetent side kick may have been ushered out the back door during the summer period but their presence lingers amidst the wreckage they invariably leave in their wake. Evidence can be seen by a simple googling of the schools fbook page to see how much harm can be done to the reputation of a school by the hiring of such thoroughly incompetent and immoral so called school leaders. Where ever they are now Malaga´s gain is their next school´s loss.. research as said many times on many threads is paramount to not ending up in a school on its way rapidly down hill.. the last heard was that the dismissed staff are bringing the owners to court with the intention of being reinstated. Where would that leave anyone who was hired for these positions should they win their cases ? Has this happened in any other schools out there or would this set a precedence in Spain ?

2. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Thanks nollaig and while I agree with what you say, it depends how much damage the afore mentioned 'dodgy music doc and his incompetent sidekick', have done and how far their influnce went. It also depends on the board, from what I have read in various places the new owners are/were part of the problem. Do you know if that is true?

I worked at a school recently that got rid of a principal and her acolytes on the staff and the school improved immeasurably very quickly. It became a good place to work and the new Principal and Head of Secondary recruited several excellent new teachers and middle managers who continued that process. Do you think this is likely or even possible in this instance?

3. nollaig

nollaig New commenter

wages being offered to new recruits should be a good indicator of where their true motives lie.

4. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Its very unlikely the wages will be higher. This hardly ever happens in Spain. The motive is always to increase profits in most Spanish schools even if it upsets teaching staff

5. nollaig

nollaig New commenter

New head same suit by all accounts. The school have erased their Facebook page and put up another and teachers were barked at by head not to speak to anyone regarding the school outside the gates :) Sounds a bit like the old head then. Also blamed the bad publicity around the school with the fact that teachers are not exactly queuing up to work there. Nothing to do with the wages and the fact you can get sacked at the drop of a hat then. Doesn´t do irony by all appearances.

malagawolf and makhnovite like this.
  6. MuffinMK

MuffinMK New commenter

I taught in the best school for 3 years, bought and sold property, learned Spanish, learned how terrible it is for expats, ran away, minus 10s of 1000s of pounds. It is NOT the place for the Brit dream. Thankfully we realised that fast. Most leave in debt bitter and angry after about 15 years. Spanish people are incredibly racist and expats have no rights at all. Taxes to buy and sell houses are horrific. I'd do some research and go elsewhere! Do not rush into anything permanent in Spain with a family. Savings potential is very low despite the cheaper lifestyle. It is a wonderful place for a fun time, nothing more.

7. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

On the other hand, I've been here for 37 years and I am neither in debt nor bitter. It is arrant nonsense to say that "expats have no rights at all", and, although there are a lot of racists in Spain, I don't think they're any more numerous than they are in the UK (witness Brexit and Britain First, the Mail, the Sun and the Express). During out time here, we've managed to buy a house in Madrid and another on the beach and still another in England, all mortgage free... So, if you're lucky in your choice of schools, as my wife and were, and you live reasonably frugally, savings potential is there...

8. MuffinMK

MuffinMK New commenter

I am shocked. That's great to hear a success story. I wasn't coming from nowhere with my opinions.

9. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Iv got to agree with @MuffinMK on most of it. Miketribe, I think your case is the 1%. Most people I know did leave in a bitter state with debt. Racism is rife and have seen physical racial attacks against Americans without any consequence and the victim being told by the hospital staff that they wont write it down as an racially motivated attack even with proof.

10. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I am another of the 1% then. I have seen good and not so good schools but have been happy and felt welcome and safe here from the start.

11. miketribe

I'm sorry you had an unfortunate experience here, thruthseeker, but I can only speak as I find. I have never been racially attacked. I find Spanish people to be, on the whole, much MORE friendly, cheerful, positive and open than most English people (especially those from the South). I'm not bitter and I'm not even close to broke. Most of my workmates, I'm pretty sure, feel the same way...

12. 34knockthedoor

34knockthedoor New commenter

why didnt you buy this 37 years school you worked at then seein as you like it so much and you keep saying you have wads of money. Why dont you buy the school then?

13. miketribe

You are just being silly and I have no interest in engaging with you.

14. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Guess who?

oldgit likes this.
  15. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

You have to marvel at its persistence. I've had the same user name for 18 years. I wouldn't have the creativity or the energy to think up a new one every other day.

makhnovite likes this.