1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving so Spain with family

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by andrewkpyoung, Aug 1, 2017.

1. andrewkpyoung

andrewkpyoung New commenter

I am hoping to move to Spain in the next couple of years. I used to teach in Madrid but we want to move South as want to try and find a house with land ( my three year old has just not gone to bed asking for his goat's milk!!). Can anyone recommend good schools where I would be able to get a reasonable wage and places for my two youngsters. I teach Chemistry and Science.

As for property does anyone have any experiences of buying property in Spain.

Any other pieces of advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

From my experience in Spain.

Salary after tax would be around £1500 per month average. Rent with land would be difficult in Madrid but around £600 in the south. If you buy then it can be anything from £150k onwards for somehting decent with land which isnt too bad. However, with Britain leaving the EU no one knows what extra fees there may be.

Kids places are usually 100% paid but schools can ask for material fees to make up their costs. I know of many that charge around £150 per child including food per month. Uniform can be very expensive and can be up to £400 per set believe it or not. I saw most teachers buying uniform from the UK whenever they could.

I dont recommend going there with family on just one salary. It doesnt work out very well and I have seen many people having to return to the UK. You would need to have an income of £2500 after tax to maintain a good lifestyle.

On the other hand, if you have saving and can use that towards regular living costs then go for it. It can be a great place to live and the people are very nice.

3. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

I really would recommend writing to Capt Mainwaring about ended property in Southern Spain. He is very well-informed...
    I think the 150,000 figure for buying may be a little pessimistic if you're prepared to live inland from the cost. Prices really collapsed with the "crisis" and still haven't crept back to the prices of 10 years ago. You can pick up places really cheaply, especially if you're prepared to put in some TLC in renovations.
    On the other hand, you have to be REALLY careful whom you trust. We weer taken in by a very suave and sophisticated Englishman who sold us a property which didn't have the proper planning permission and lost our whole investment, even though we consulted a lawyer and faithfully followed all her recommendations before we parted with a penny...

4. andrewkpyoung

Thank you for your comments. We are planning this move over two year to allow my step son to finish his GCSEs so I can afford to turn people down if I don't think the deal would be good for us although with Brexit coming I would like to get things done this year. Like you say salaries can be really low and children's costs can be difficult to calculate but at least now I know the right questions to ask should I get an interview.

As for property we had been looking at something in land which would need TLC as we want the land. Again I guess it just means looking over everything properly.

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Mike is correct with regard to prices here in inland Andalusia where it is still very much a buyer's market, though sales have started to pick up a little of late. A friend who has just retired from what he swears was his final headship drove us crazy before he finally decided which property to buy.

We bought our olive/ almond finca in the hills between Antequera and Granada as a semi-wreck in 2001. It is now fully renovated (though with an old house the Forth bridge cliche always resonates). At the height of the price boom it was probably valued at 250,000 euros and I'd guess it might currently go for 150,000. For us, any figure is just monopoly money as we hope to be here until they carry us out. There are still bargains to be had, especially in fixer-uppers, but, as Mike says, caveat emptor, and that particularly applies to smooth-talking expat realtors, all of whom, in my experience, make Judas Iscariot look like a figure of impeccable probity.

Unless you are multi-skilled and have lots of spare time the choice of builders, electricians, plumbers, etc. is also a major factor. As a rule of thumb, assume that a Brit builder will charge you three times as much as a Spaniard and may not do half as good a job.

I’m by no means an expert but I’d be happy to share opinions either via PM or the forum.

6. andrewkpyoung

Does anyone happen to have any comments about St Georges Malaga; the salary says between 23 and 25k which does seem to be a little low especially for a family of 4 although my wife would try and find some part time work.

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Werent those the ones in the news for sacking most of their staff, then the head got fired for all the fuss it caused?

8. nollaig

nollaig New commenter

the very place, there is plenty of information on other threads about this place so the fact the OP has not bothered to do the research themselves is a contributing factor to the continued existence of these outfits.. however 1500 euro may well be sufficient if you are wealthy enough and prepared to eat into savings I suppose

9. andrewkpyoung

I do apologise. I am new to these forums and have yet to find a search facility. I had no idea about the news article so am grateful for the information.

10. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

That salary would be normal or pretty good actually. You would need to go in to savings unless you can live frugally which I assume would defeat the purpose of moving to Spain.

The School you mentioned has had a lot of issues although it once used to be a good place to be from what I hear. I know Chemistry teachers on 20k salary in Spain so 25k is much better even though I regard it as very low for any subject teacher. With a family, costs can rise very steep during your stay there. Consider that many products cost a lot more in Spain than in the UK and I know families who buy items from the UK and have it sent over which still adds to costs.

Do be prepared to pay for the 2nd or 3rd childs tuition and uniform for all which can be as ridiculous as 400 euros per set which I have mentioned earlier. This is something people dont consider till they get there and realise that all kids may not get a free place in a school and have to pay 700 euros per month when the salary is only 1600 after tax and rent is 600. That would leave 300 per month for all other expenses. On the other hand, if you are both working full time then you will be completely fine and would enjoy your time there. You might even save some money. However, dont expect your partner to find a job straight away or for it to pay much if it will be part-time non career related.

11. Mainwaring

I can't offhand think of many products costing much more in Spain than in the UK but I'm ready to be enlightened (verb transitive).

12. miketribe

By Spanish law, all school employees -- not just teachers but also cleaning staff and bus drivers -- have the right to free tuition for ALL of their kids. We've had teachers with five kids put them all through the school. They do get charged for the extras like lunch and so on, but it's nowhere NEAR 700 euros a month, and they can always bring packed lunches! We don't have a school uniform, but my wife's school did and there was an active "swap shop" where parents exchanged used uniforms either at no cost or very cheaply...

13. miketribe

Marmite. Colmans mustard. English beer.

14. miketribe

BTW, the school in questions does have a stinking reputation and I wouldn't touch it with a proverbial...

15. Mainwaring

Not exactly essentials in our household nor, I suspect, in yours.

16. miketribe

True, but the house is rarely without a jar of Marmite... One of my few vices...

sabrinakat likes this.
  17. Mainwaring

Poor fellow (WS Gilbert, The Pirates of Penzance)

18. andrewkpyoung

Thank you for all the advice. I will keep looking and I have managed to find the forum search now so I will do some research before posting next time.

19. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

"Werent those the ones in the news for sacking most of their staff, then the head got fired for all the fuss it caused?"

Is this why the Headship has just appeared on Search? Any more details guys? Is it still toxic? Are/were the problems due to the outgoing Head or the Board in not aallowing him/her to manage. Will a new Head improve the situation or just inherit a bad one?

20. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Head of Secondary puede ser?