1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving schools - potential maternity query

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ames1983, Nov 14, 2018.

1. ames1983

ames1983 New commenter

I'm looking to move schools for a different teaching job. I have been a teacher at the same school or 10 years. It was an LA school when I first started but converted to academy a few years ago. If I move to a school which is in a different LA, would I still qualify for occupational maternity pay?
    Obviously I would never start a new job role with the intention of falling pregnant within months of starting, but I need to be aware of fincacial implications before making the decision to change jobs into a school in a different LA due to where I live.

Even though we are academy, would it still count as continual service with an LA?
    Im a bit confused.

Thank you in advance for help!

2. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

From what I understand very few schools/ academies offer continuous service in this situation. Maybe if you are under tupe and move to another school in the same LA.

If you are moving school to another LA I don’t think you qualify for occupational maternity pay until you have one year of service, If the new school follows the Burgandy book.

I think it’s one year service is needed before you get to the 11th week before the expected week of childbirth. So it’s not a full year before you can get pregnant. When I was in this position I started a new school in sept and waited until April to start ‘trying’.

But in my situation the occupational pay was important and waiting not too much of an issue, for others this will be different and to wait wouldn’t be worth it.

curlcurlcurl likes this.