1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving schools and UPS

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by alba21, Jan 7, 2017.

1. alba21

alba21 New commenter

Hi chaps,

I am an English HOD currently on UPS 3 and the max TLR. A job has recently come up in a school close to me (I currently commute up to an hour each way) and I'd like to go for it. However... it is only advertised as Main Scale and with a TLR of 1c (£7,800). Interestingly, it's also advertising for a 2iC on MPS with TLR 2a- only £1500 difference!

My questions to you are- is this normal to pay such a small difference between HOD and 2iC? Also, have we now lost the right to move our current pay entitlement from school to school? Moving to this job on this advertised pay would be an almost £18,000 pay drop as I'm currently getting Inner London Allowance and I'm not sure my bank balance can handle it. It would be so nice to move closer to home and closer to my son...

Thanks in advance...

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Pay portability disappeared a long time ago. So yes they can do this. You now have to negotiate. So it is a question for your "new" school.

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Often you have to put your current salary on the application form. If this is the case, the school you're applying to will know what you are being paid now. The issue of salary may come up in interview, but I'd be wary of raising it myself at that stage. If you lay all your cards on the table in the interview and they know you won't take the job unless the salary is x amount, they may not even offer it to you. I would advise you to wait to know whether you are the chosen candidate. If you are, you are in a much more powerful position to negotiate. They want you. They may even be expecting to negotiate at that stage. Have a clear idea of your ideal salary, then the one which is acceptable to you and finally, the level below which you will walk away.

4. ellieinfrance

ellieinfrance New commenter

Worth checking with the school - the TLRs always have a min and max payment for each grade. If they went to the max, would it make the drop less? Would your expenses drop if you were out of inner London? Worth contacting them and seeing if this would be negotiable.