1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving school in NQT year?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by amylou008, Feb 19, 2020.

1. amylou008

amylou008 New commenter

Hi,

I’m an nqt currently In year 5 and need to get out of my school. I’m thinking about handing in my notice as this school is really affecting my mental health but I don’t have another job lined up for after Easter and I’m worried that I won’t be able to get another position to finish my induction year. I just want some advice because I don’t want to affect my career because I love teaching but I’m really struggling at my school.

2. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

Is it because of the school or the fact it is your NQT year?
    It's probably best to try to finish your nqt year there, you are halfway through it.
    I had a tough NQT year and was ready to find a new school during the autumn term however I thought it would be difficult to secure a position so I stuck it there, changed mentors and somehow got through it. I left in July. Fast forward and the new school I joined in September was awful and I quit at Christmas. Imagine if I had also quit my NQT job last Christmas, how bad it would appear on my cv.

If you moved schools, there would be a lot you'd have to get used to: new class, new mentor, new policy, leadership team, colleagues, planning, assessment system, behaviour policy, new parents.

There is also an element of satisfaction from seeing children progress from September to July. It's good to get that whole year cycle under your belt.