1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving out of teaching...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bonnie23, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi, I've been advised to post here instead of personal.

So this is just a thought thread. I have a new job and I'm sure that all of this is just nerves. However I've heard such bad things about our head about how he can flit from one mood to another that it's beginning to unsettle me. If you've read any previous posts you'll know that I am wanting to move to Scotland to be with my parents.

I keep looking at my life, I'm working from 8am - 7pm or later every weekday and then at least 5 hours on a Sunday. I can't help but think... is it worth it? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE teaching, I love the reactions, the inspirations etc but at what cost? I want to be near my family, currently I'm 4 hours away and barely get to visit. I'm worried I'm going to get into my 40's or later, look back and realise I've done nothing but work.

Basically I'm wondering what people have done after they've left teaching? Maybe I'm in the wrong spot for this because I imagine most people on here are teachers.

What sort of jobs did you go into? Are you in different areas of education instead? What about pay?

Thanks in advance!

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Firstly, don't dwell on the rumours about your Head Teacher; instead concentrate on your work.

There are many jobs you can do, bit you must have a plan and do research on what skills you have which are transferable and what training you might have to do. Most importantly, how many jobs in any certain fileld are available. The National Careers Service is a good place to start.

In the meantime, see if you can find ways to work fewer hours without sacrificing the quality of your work. Instead of creating all your own resources, find ones already created and adapt them. Find areas where you can save time. There is a book called The Lazy Teacher's Handbook with time saving tips which might help. I know it is difficult to do, but make it a challenge to go through what you are doing now and find ways of saving time.

Being near your family is a separate issue.

I think without additional training you will find a job that pays as well as what you earn now.

SLouise91 likes this.
  3. hiddendavid

hiddendavid New commenter

Get out whilst you can!

I taught for 10+ years and set up my own business to earn anywhere between £400 and £1000 a week for literally no more than 5-12 hours work with NO prep or work afterwards!

Please don't ask what I do as it will be clearly identifiable!! It can be done though!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. ldnsenco

ldnsenco Occasional commenter

I often feel the same. I work 7am-6pm every day plus 7-10 at home 3x weekly. At the weekend I work 9am-12pm Saturdays and 9am-2pm Sundays and I still have a bazillion things to do. The list is never ending. My husband gets very frustrated and tells me I need to do 75% of what I normally do at 75% quality but I can't let myself. It's a vicious cycle.

Unfortunately it's the nature of teaching these days. I agree with @pepper5 , look for skills you can transfer. Also agree not to dwell on negative talk and rumours. It does nobody any favours. Good luck!

5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

It's marking guilt that got me. Now free of it, yay! Apart from paid examining, which is ok.

Compassman likes this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Idnesenco

Listen to your husband as he sounds like a wise man. Perhaps take a middle ground: do less things but the things you do keep up the quality. Why don't you make a list of every single task and see what things you could stop doing and save time to be with your husband and children if you have them. Your family is far more important than any class you will ever teach.

The human body is not designed to work 7 days a week without rest. If you keep up the schedule you have described, you will eventually get ill. If I were you, I would try to take Saturday or Sunday off completely and do nothing school related. I know it is VERY difficult and the education system has created a work monster out of control. Anyone who works in a school can see the incredible pressures teachers are under with large class sizes which results in a heavy workload.

You, therefore, have to somehow make a way to survive it and look for ways to lessen your load. Please listen to your husband and get his help. If you ask him, he might even sit down with you and go over your tasks and help you find ways to save time without sacrificing the quality. You can break the cycle if you are determined.

Do take a look at the Lazy Teacher's Handbook which I mentioned above, as that will contain ideas you can use to get yourself down to a six day week.

You will never get a medal for killing yourself through overwork. Hard work is commendable and that is what it takes to provide for your family the things you would like them to have or what they need; however, there is a line in the sand you have to draw and be sensible about how much work you do each week even if that means one day you decide to work part time.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Until teachers stop working all the hours God sends the problem will continue. Think of all the hours you do and for how much? Remember it's a job not a lifestyle choice .

8. ldnsenco

Thank you for your advice. I can very much see in the cold light of day that you're right and deep down I know it too. It's so hard to separate it though. I'm trying so very hard to create balance in my life. I'm lucky to have such an incredibly supportive and understanding partner who has weathered every storm through my 12 years in teaching.

We currently don't have children as we don't have time to nurture them as they need and deserve. We are still relatively young and buildings our careers. One day. And then he says I can work 3 days yay!

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Not having children does make teaching a whole lot easier. I am totally amazed at the teachers who have children and still manage, but they usually do it at a cost of their health.

Everyone should have one day a week off. Who would want to work 7 day weeks? The workload issue is a massive problem for teachers and that is why there is an exodus leaving the profession. The ones who stay are the ones willing and able to work 7 day weeks and they are being taken advantage of by the Government.

agathamorse, thekillers and ldnsenco like this.
  10. Choclimey

Choclimey New commenter

Well my route wouldn't be right for everyone but I am retraining as an educational psychologist. I think it's a great way to continue working with children and really making a difference while not being in a school system. As a psychologist you get to work across the board both focusing on individual children and supporting teachers and your opinion actually carries some clout. I am not in the profession yet but I have a place on a training course next year and can't wait.

It will involve doing a further degree, as you will discover if you research it, but remember all training doctorates in England are funded so although you may suffer a drop in salary you won't be without an income, and there is a well paid job at the end :)

agathamorse and ldnsenco like this.
  11. ldnsenco

I have been looking into this recently too - as an idea for the future. Good luck!!

Choclimey likes this.
  12. eddiev

eddiev New commenter

Maybe consider a move into FE? I taught in secondary school for 5 years and was shattered and burnt out, especially once my children were born, so left and decided to wing it.
    I easily picked up supply contracts for a couple of years, and now work in an FE college on a permanent three day a week contract. It's great as there is loads less planning and it is overall more chilled out :)

SLouise91 likes this.
  13. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Please can I ask what you do now?

thekillers likes this.
  14. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

If you could find a good school to work at that only cares about teaching and children, not the other stuff-are there any now?

ldnsenco likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yes, plenty.
    Mine for one and that of many of the heads who post on here.

ldnsenco likes this.
  16. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

You could always look for a job closer to family?

17. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

I'm intrigued!!! You've got me thinking about the possibilities...

18. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

This is exactly why I handed in my resignation on Monday. Teaching for me, has left me with no choice but to choose it or family commitments. I've put my family on hold for 14 and 1/2 years now. It's time I repay the favour. I've thoroughly enjoyed my teaching career but something in the back of my mind is telling me it's time to leave.

If there's a voice in your head telling you to leave, then maybe it's the voice of reason you should be listening too. I love teaching too, but the profession has left no room for us to actually teach.

I mean, for me my life was definitely between family and career, but the years of stress and guilt I put on myself by putting my career in front of my kids and 1st husband I can never take back and sadly, it's only took me 14 years to realise it's only a job and not a lifestyle choice.

Get out whilst you still can chick.