1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving out of reception!!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by erinjunior, Apr 8, 2011.

1. I have been in reception since i was an NQT 5 years alltogether at two different schools.
    Next year im in Ks1, most likely year 2. Question is am I going to hate it or love it?????
    Has anyone else done this??????

2. Im sure Msz has recently done this!

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I suppose it depends to an extent on how your school is organised. I've done a couple of years in KS1 in my current school and really missed the team atmosphere of working in EY. I was working part time, so felt that I did not really get to know the children like I had done in EY - although that could have been a product of my hours and the subjects I was teaching. Also, in KS1 they tend to re-use the same planning and that would have ended up driving me bananas.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It would drive me mad too ...
    I was talking to the Y1 staff last night and they said they couldn't do the suggested visit next term because I would be doing it in September (I took my present class last Sept) and were surprised when I said I wouldn't be doing the same lessons next year [​IMG]

5. No advice but I am jealous, think I'd love to take what I know from early years higher up the school. Good luck [​IMG]

6. This is why they are moving me as they want me to take
    the early years way up to year 2 so I am excited about that.
    Problem is i am very hands on and creative, i love creating different
    activities and im worried that things just have to go in books all the time
    even though they say they want it more creative. Were a one form though
    so i can go with the flow

7. I am in Year 2 and we do an awful lot of practical, creative things. Lots of our things aren't in books. We do a lot of drama and are working in a cross curricular way, which would be very familiar to you. I did my GTP year in reception and am now in Year 2. I love it and there is lots of scope for being creative. We have those little flip video cameras as I video things quite a bit. THere is a lot more writing, but still very hands on. The progress you see in Year 2 seems to be huge in writing and reading in particular so it is very rewarding.
    We have done several KS1 creative curriculum themes with Year 1 and these have been a great thing to do with Year 1. We have operated with carousel activities with Year 1s and 2s swapping year groups etc when we do these, which the children have really enjoyed.

8. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

I suppose it depends on your school. I went the other way annd after 2 years am going back to EYFS. I had a massive shock in y2 with all the planning, form filling etc.etc. that class teachers have to do in our school. It seemed pointless most of it and was not aboout the child at all m, rather about proving that you had done it.
    I can't wait to get back to having my evenings and weekends back to myself, but mainly, being able to look at the child rather than the papers!
    Be sure your SMT really do want an EYFS approach further up the school and that they iunderstand it enough not to just pay lipservie to it. That was my problem at first in y2 and some of my other year group colleagues thought that my preference for evaluative and reflective planning was me being lazy. I did sucuumb in the end when I saw all that they had to do in comparison to a teacher in our EYFS so I didn't want to just be seen taking and not giving.
    Good luck - hope you have a good year.