1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving Online due to Covid

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by WB, Mar 24, 2020.

1. WB

WB Senior commenter

I've tutored a lot in recent years - all face to face at the child's house.

This had come to a total stop so I want to move on line. Most of the parents have asked to to do this in some way.

I'll be using Zoom to set up sessions. How do people normally work this? I have 1 webcam on my computer. The only option I have right now is to start the session with it looking at me the take it off the computer and clap it to a stand pointing down at pad. This works well in some test I've done and replicates a lot of YouTube videos that seem to work well.

Any thoughts? Any other tips? I only plan on this being short term until I can get out again.

Thanks for any tips!

2. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Ah... the prospect of 'getting out again'! It should be made into a national holiday.
    I used Zoom for the first time today. It was fine - I sent a link to the 'meeting' I had opened, to my tutee, via email, and - as she also had Zoom open on her computer - when she clicked on the link, she was able to be taken straight through to the meeting. At the moment, for online tutoring (I also use Skype), I just have my webcam fixed on my computer, and then hold up an A4 sized whiteboard to display written information. My student, at the other end, will have documents printed out that we'll both work off. I'm not sure that this is an ideal system, but it seems to work for now (KS1, KS3 and KS4). NB I teach English (or, at least, am trying to...). One tip I do have for online tutoring is to cover up the clock on your computer; things can start to feel quite drawn out if your eyes are constantly looking at how much time has passed...(!).

suzette and WB like this.
  3. WB

WB Senior commenter

Thanks!

Does online work for KS1? Most of my kids are aged 9-13.

4. WB

WB Senior commenter

Are your session 1 hour?

Seems a long time on line.

5. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Not really, kind of...! It's quite a unique situation. The pupil has SEN needs and the tutoring I do is really just to engage her with, and help her enjoy, the process of 'learning' (rather than developing academic excellence - she's only 6 :)). Our face to face sessions are for one hour (but include lots of play). At the moment, we're doing half hour sessions online, with lots of games and me holding up pictures etc. All my other (KS2 - KS5) sessions (online or otherwise) are an hour or an hour and a half.

WB likes this.
  6. WB

WB Senior commenter

Thanks for your help!

7. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

No problem - good luck!

WB likes this.
  8. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

Wow a 6yo has 1 hour lessons. That's got to be a first.

9. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Well, I do have to clarify that it's certainly not an hour of unbroken, focused work on phonics and calculations etc.! This SEN student is not able to access the classroom at school (is taught outside of the classroom) and my sessions really aim to reinforce and support the idea of regular, formal (-ish, obviously!) periods of learning. If we get approx. 15/ 20 minutes of focused work done in a session, I'm happy. We alternate between periods of 'play' and 'learning', in order to keep the pressure low, but also to to facilitate a consistent learning environment.

10. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

No, it is not. It depends entirely on the child, their needs and the way in which the lesson is delivered.

11. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

I personally think an hour lesson for a child aged 6 is a touch too long. Even when I was doing face to face tutoring, I found their attention span was lowered after about an half hour in. I would suggest cutting it into 2 half hour lessons.

WB likes this.
  12. suzette

Or you could set your mobile phone to beep and vibrate once to signify the end of the lesson. It's something I did when doing face to face tutoring to make sure students/clients knew that was the end of the lesson and it also made sure if I was going to another lesson that I wasn't late. It's something I'll do for online tutoring when I begin on Monday next week, as it's subtle way to get things wound up and done.

13. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Thank you for your suggestion; as I have slightly more knowledge :)-)) of this particular child, her current situation, her specific personality and unique SEN needs, I think I am sufficiently well placed to make an informed decision on the duration of our lessons :)

14. suzette

:oops:Oops... I didn't intend on making you feel as if I'm treading on your toes! On the tutors forum, we all tend to give opinions, thoughts and generalised tidbits on here, not meaning to 'tell' people how to do their job, or suggesting that they don't know their students and clients; but merely to be kind, helpful or give food for thought. So if you felt I caused offence by suggesting otherwise, it was not intended, especially as we are all struggling to make the current situation work under very difficult circumstances.

15. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

No worries; sorry if I jumped down your throat :-( I think (no, I know!) I'm being ultra-sensitive at the moment, due to all of the current pressures (are you listening Rishi Sunak?!). Apologies again - I certainly welcome the opportunity to engage with fellow tutors and to receive and share thoughts!

16. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I don't teach KS1 online, but as you mention above some of the session time is 'play' or more like continuous provision. You could still falcilate this online? So for example if you were playing shop. You could put a price list on the screen and ask the child to pick a teady to be shop keeper. This would require the parents to be a little more involved (providing coins). Another idea get the parents to print off a 'fun activity' sheet e.g. counting forwards and backwards in steps of 1 e.c.t. the child could colour the completed sheet as their break. These are all ideas from my brief time in EYFS. We set up a ice cream shop and the kids got some much out of it.

CloudsTES likes this.
  17. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

There is also a whiteboard on Zoom you can use and you can 'share screen' with any documents/worksheets and the such like you want the pupil to see on Zoom

18. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

You can share home made board games together through the Share Document facility on Zoom, and also drag & drop documents in the same way.

Happyregardless likes this.
  19. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

I use Zoom and simply Share Documents. You have these open on your desktop and when you go into Share Documents you can see them all. You simply click on the one you what to project to your student and then Share this. It's far better than holding up paper. I then send a copy of the lesson to the student, having previously emailed anything they need to print in advance. I very very considerably prefer to teach online than face to face in order to avoid going to strangers' houses or having strangers in my home. It's definitely the way forward for me personally.

Happyregardless likes this.